Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
can't do meat rabbits if i own it i'm not killing it :old

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
2seth2 said:
can't do meat rabbits if i own it i'm not killing it :old
The emoticons makes it seem like you're looking down on people who process meat from their livestock. Surely that's not the case though. Just because it's a "meat" rabbit doesn't mean you have to eat it. Hazel and Strawberry are my New Zealand breeders and I never plan to eat either of them...

CYG

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Regarding pedigree though, especially when I really sit down and get my rabbitry started, it comes to whether I want to first go show, which then pedigrees a must, or go meat. Still truly on the fence with that, but at least I have my options open.

ARBA has an excellent way to trace lines if you want pedigree. I'm leaning towards smaller rabbits, due to space, so focusing on show and pets would be my best right now for success.

Meat rabbits are more on what meat you have on your rabbit than pedigree. Mixing breeds to get the best meat rabbit is the key. Something that I know is in my future since I want to be self sufficient and raise my own meat.
Pedigrees are not a must to show your rabbits. Fitting the standard is. We showed several satins without pedigrees to get an idea of how well they compared to others of their breed. For my purebred meat rabbits, that they fit the standard and can be shown by other people is just as important to me as whether or not they growout well.

Also... Pics of a ND doe that we kinda rescued a few years back. Someone posted an ad for a free rabbit, we were looking for meat breeders at the time and asked how big it was since she didn't know the breed. She told us it was a medium-large sized rabbit. So we figure we would go take a peek. Well... I stayed in the car, my husband went to look at her, and came back carrying this itty bitty ball of white fluff. The people had already moved out of the house and were living a good hour away, and when DH went to look at her, there was snow in her empty food and water dishes and it hadn't snowed in 3 days!!! So we ended up taking the poor little bunny, who was just skin and bones, and rehomed her with my neice. Now she is really fat LOL

3525_qtip.jpg

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
Regarding pedigree though, especially when I really sit down and get my rabbitry started, it comes to whether I want to first go show, which then pedigrees a must, or go meat. Still truly on the fence with that, but at least I have my options open.

ARBA has an excellent way to trace lines if you want pedigree. I'm leaning towards smaller rabbits, due to space, so focusing on show and pets would be my best right now for success.

Meat rabbits are more on what meat you have on your rabbit than pedigree. Mixing breeds to get the best meat rabbit is the key. Something that I know is in my future since I want to be self sufficient and raise my own meat.
Pedigrees are not a must to show your rabbits. Fitting the standard is. We showed several satins without pedigrees to get an idea of how well they compared to others of their breed. For my purebred meat rabbits, that they fit the standard and can be shown by other people is just as important to me as whether or not they growout well.

Also... Pics of a ND doe that we kinda rescued a few years back. Someone posted an ad for a free rabbit, we were looking for meat breeders at the time and asked how big it was since she didn't know the breed. She told us it was a medium-large sized rabbit. So we figure we would go take a peek. Well... I stayed in the car, my husband went to look at her, and came back carrying this itty bitty ball of white fluff. The people had already moved out of the house and were living a good hour away, and when DH went to look at her, there was snow in her empty food and water dishes and it hadn't snowed in 3 days!!! So we ended up taking the poor little bunny, who was just skin and bones, and rehomed her with my neice. Now she is really fat LOL

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3525_qtip.jpg
Thanks for your input. Forget that "Meat Rabbits" are also shown and that yes Standards are the key in showing any kind of rabbit.

And absolutely beautiful Netherland. Glad to hear you rescued this sweetie and now is in the loving care of your niece. :)

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
what dimensions should a nest box be for a netherland dwarf? I've got some scrap pieces and want to make one for future use before I forget and toss all my scrap lumber, wire, etc. (want to actually park the car in the garage this winter! :))

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the ones they sell are called dwarf nest boxes try googleing dwarf nestbox demesion

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our Lionhead cages are 11" long, 10" wide and 10" high. We found a metal nest box we plan to use for our indoor Dearf Hotot but I wouldn't make a nest any bigger than ours and probably a few smaller. It's easy to make one and a lot cheaper than buying! We use 1/2 inch plywood.

CYG

Rabbitshower101

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi i have 2 Netherland dwarfs but they are bucks but i am getting 5 does this week with kits

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cool what color are your netherlands