New Baby

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We splurged a bit and put electric fencing around our chickens and our goats.

I know I would be minus a few chickens if I hadn't done it. I got all my chickens as little chicks, and have way too much time, money and effort not to TRY to make their pen and chicken house predator proof. Of course, I have a retired builder for a husband and he can and will do projects for the animals, no prob!! Now he is retired when it comes to my little inside projects. LOL There are dogs in our neighborhood, in fact I saw 2 different dogs hit the electric poultry netting, and get knocked back about 2 feet!! It didn't hurt the dog, but he sure hasn't been back!!

We have an electric fence, 4 strands of wire, around about 10 acres for our goats, it's movable, and on 24/7. It's been broken a couple of times, but nothing has ever gotten a goat, so far, knock on wood. Of course they are all locked in the barn at just before dark. The goats know the fence is there, and stay about 5-10 ft. back from it. I thought about a LGD, but we have a 3 year old who lives here on the ranch, and I was concerned about her.

Sorry to hear about your goats being harmed. I read somewhere that dogs are the worst predator for both goats and chickens.

DonnaBelle