new breeder- lost all first and second litters

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am a new breeder. I started with five NZ does and three NZ bucks. My first try was with Casper and was a disaster as babies were born on day thirty five one day after I removed nesting box thinking she wasn't pregnant. Next time I bred all five does at once. Casper's litter was fine for about a week and kits were even beginning to get hair. Then one morning all kits were dead. Other four does kindled in same week and all lost their littters within a few days. Then I bred all five does again. Casper was found dead in her nesting box the day she was due to deliver. No signs of any external trauma owr reason for her death. Within a few days other does all delivered between four and six kits. Kits survived for two to three days and then all died within a day or two of each other.

I understand it not being abnormal for first litters to not survive. But is it normal for ALL my second litters to die? Last week I bred four does again telling them all that this is their last shot at being moms. My bucks seem to all be doing their jobs well and all my rabbits appear healthy.

Thought if I posted my procedures you guy's experience might be able to point to something I might be doing wrong.

I feed once a day with 15% protein pellets . Each rabbit gets a little more than one meadured cup of pellets. In evening I give a treat of a little carrot or celery stick. I use metal nesting boxes with remove able wooden floors which I
replace after each litter. We are in West Texas and our winters are not harsh. Last four weeks have been average of 55-60 degrees in day time and high 30's to low 40's at night.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use a little bit of wood shavings in box with some coastal hay on top. My does have all made beautiful nests. First day the kits are born I checked to make sure no dead kits in box which meant I touched kits to see that they were alive. Second day I felt of each kit to insure bellies were full. They appeared to be full.

Wind blows a lot here and metal roof of rabbitry makes some noise. But these rabbits have all been in

this building since Sept of last year so would assume they are accustomed to that noise.

Vet told me to move does to back of rabbitry. I have two rows of five cages each back to back. 20 cages in all. It a flush clean system with washable trays between rows. I was told to keep my does and bucks on separate sides so last week I moved all does to back in top cages and moved bucks to front of system in bottom cages. Same vet told me not to check for dead kits and to just let the does remove any dead kits. Another vet told me that domesticated rabbits are used to human scents and it would not hurt anything for me (their only care giver) to touch the newborn kits.

Am I overfeeding? All my rabbits are large and heavy but not sure they would be considered fat.
All rabbits came from a huge breeding farm and I was assured they all had separate pedigrees although I received no paperwork on them. Breeder will not answer my phone calls or text messages no so that make me suspicious. Is it possible they all have some onherent breeding problem?

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I breed each doe three consecutive days and count 30 days from first breeding day to put in nesting boxes. Each doe uses the same nesting box with new wood floor each time. I did not scour metal boxes as they appeared clean after each lost litter and I knew I would use new wood floor each time.

After three unsuccessful litters (if that is what happens this time) would you all replace the does? I will not go back to same breeder again even though they are registered and have good reputation because they are apparently too busy to answer my calls at this point.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems with your rabbits :hugs

we are new to rabbits ourselves, currently waiting for our 3 does to have babies any day now :fl

the first thing that comes to my mind is there a possiblity that the rabbits have some type of infection that they are passing on to the babies? Also could it possible be a genetic problem both does and buck are carrying a lethal gene that is causing the babies to only live so long?

hopefully someone with more knowlegde will post.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I feed my does and bucks five to six ounces of feed per day.

When I breed a doe I put her in with buck. They breed, I take them out. I do not breed them again the next two days.

It is strange that they make it a few days and then die. It may cost you a bit but you may want to see if your vet has the facility to do necropsy so you know what is going on.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will check with my vet to see if she could look at next kits if I loose them again. One of books I read when I was getting ready for my rabbits said to breed three days in a row. But if that is unnecessary I will certainly stop doing it. Thank you both for your replies. I've got my fingers crossed that this third time will be the charm. But I am already looking at another breeder to replace my does if the unthinkable happens again. I guess there is a chance I may need new bucks too. :(

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you using different bucks to each doe, are the bucks not related to each other?
Try bringing the nests in for the night and day, only bring them out to feed. See if that changes anything.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use all three of my bucks to breed the five (now four) does. I was told they were not kin to each other but I have no paperwork to know for sure. I will try taking the boxes away from the does next time. Would I put them back with the does twice a day? Does the time of day matter?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The kits are fed once a day by their mother. As to when the one time is I have no clue.

It is a frustrating mystery for sure what is going on.

Rabbits can be confounding critters.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry your having such a rough time! I haven't had that many problems in the YEARS I have been raising rabbits.

The only time I have ever lost a litter like that is when they got too cold. Is there any chance they aren't warm enough; not enough hair or hay in the nest? (I pack my nestboxes to the top with hay and let the doe tunnel out a nest). Is there a draft? is there water leaking in somewhere making them wet? etc...

That is the first thing I would look at. It would be HIGHLY unlikely that they would all have the same genetic problem. It sounds cultural/ environmental to me.

Also, I never breed three days in a row, it's just not necessary. I breed my does in the morning and again that same evening. (I make sure the buck "gets" her two to three times each). That's it. I have one doe who regularly gives me 10 kits each time. With all 10 making it to weaning.

The only other thing I can immediately see is that it doesn't look like they are being fed enough.... this is what I do; about halfway through the pregnancy I start free feeding the does. They get all they can eat until the babies are weaned.

I also leave the nestboxes in from 2 weeks before kindling to when the babies are weaned. Never had a problem.

Hope this helps and you figure out what the problem is!