New from Maine!

MKandtheforce

Just born
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm Margaret. I'm pretty new to this whole thing. I've had this huge interest in having a family farm and my own livestock, so I figured I'd get my feelers out by joining this site! I've also applied for an apprenticeship program, so hopefully, I'll get into that and I'll be able to learning if farming is right for me! It seems so rewarding! My main interest is with cows, goats, and chickens, though I'd like to also learn how to raise sheep and quail if things get rollin' for me. And, if I decide to eat the meat I raise (currently, I'm a vegetarian), maybe I'll get into pigs and other birds, too.

I think I'll end up lurking for a while and maybe chime in every so often, but nice to meet you all! ^^

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Well .... :welcome This is a great place if you are interested in livestock !!!!:clap

I think farming is rewarding !!!( I'm not a farmer yet though )
2gwb921.gif

Little One

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow You've found a great place to research. Everybody is different, but I would recommend starting with chickens. They are smaller and a cheaper investment. But, that's just me.

MKandtheforce

Just born
Reaction score
Little One said:
Welcome! :frow You've found a great place to research. Everybody is different, but I would recommend starting with chickens. They are smaller and a cheaper investment. But, that's just me.
Absolutely-- if I don't get an apprenticeship opportunity, I plan on starting with chickens and seeing how that goes. I still live with my parents (just moved back here from Colorado for school), and they agreed to help me with a coop. So I've been researching the heck out of it, heh!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
& :welcome from The White Mountains of New Hampshire!! :D Whereabouts in Maine are you located(don't need to be exact, just rough location)??

MKandtheforce

Just born
Reaction score
Wow, lots of New Englanders! Can't say I'm surprised, though. Such a country-ish region! I'm from the Midcoast area. :)

CheerioLounge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
MKandtheforce said:
Little One said:
Absolutely-- if I don't get an apprenticeship opportunity, I plan on starting with chickens and seeing how that goes. I still live with my parents (just moved back here from Colorado for school), and they agreed to help me with a coop. So I've been researching the heck out of it, heh!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!
:welcome from Twentynine Palms in the high desert of California! As you have already seen, you'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who are always ready to help!

You might want to check out the sister site Backyard Chickens (BYC). Lot's of friendly chicken folk over there!!

Latest posts