new here

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can I ask a few questions? Guess I can since nobody said no. LOL

Does a breeder sell you rabbits at a decent price or do they charge a high amount since they are a breeder?
Can you breed a family member with another or should you make sure they are from different litters altogether?

I have a breeder here in town who said she would sell me one little rabbit for $45.00. I about dropped my teeth and other things too. I am sorry but I think this price is ridiculous for a RABBIT that is going to produce more rabbits. I am not going to show it.
I have searched and there are no rabbits for sale around me so is there anything else I can do to get a few rabbits?

THANKS

Myke

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
talchemist5, I would like to see pictures of your shed. I am planning a lathe shed myself. Where do you live? I'm in Colorado Springs, CO and worry that it may get too cold a few weeks every winter. If you don't mind posting a picture or e-mailing me a few.
Thanks
Myke

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Most breeders do show at ARBA shows and depending on the breeder's status, $45 may be a decent price depending on the quality of the animal.

If you don't want to show rabbits, you don't have to pay that much but the higher quality your stock is the more you can charge for your own bunnies. Go to www.arba.net and you'll find lots of information about breeders, particular breeds and there are links to the individual breed associations and local clubs to get you started. If you want to start in rabbits, start with the best stock you can!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mitransplant said:

Does a breeder sell you rabbits at a decent price or do they charge a high amount since they are a breeder?
Can you breed a family member with another or should you make sure they are from different litters altogether?

I have a breeder here in town who said she would sell me one little rabbit for $45.00. I about dropped my teeth and other things too. I am sorry but I think this price is ridiculous for a RABBIT that is going to produce more rabbits. I am not going to show it.
I have searched and there are no rabbits for sale around me so is there anything else I can do to get a few rabbits?

THANKS
It depends on availability and breed. I looked for almost a year befoe finding my does. There are others in the area but people wanted $80-$100 for them. Call the local feed stores. Some sell them and others may know who has them. If that fails wait until after your local fair and see if any of those are for sale.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Small pet stores often get three or four month old rabbits from people who change their minds after keeping them awhile, often the same ones that bought them as babies. They are harder to sell so they charge less than for the babies. I just got a beauty of a crossbred NZ doe at one for $14. She was well cared for and very tame.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks cattlecait. I bookmarked that sight and will definitely check it out later.
Some of you mentioned the feed stores, would they carry say for example the new zealand rabbit or californian or are they just generic rabbits? I don't think it matters what breed I get as long as they would be good for meat since it is only for my own personal use I would be getting them for. I know between me and my grand daughter, there would be some pets out of the litters.

Just wondering if I went to a feed store and bought what they had there and when old enough bred them, would they be the right kind for meat? I am not sure I would care for the meat since I have never had it but my hubby likes it so would not be having to many litters a year.
Used to have a rabbit in the back yard when my daughter was little and don't even know what kind he was. Had him for over three years before rehoming him.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will do more research before I buy.

talchemist5

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i got my rabbits from a local breeder who mainly does show bunnies and some meat <culls>. i paid 40/ doe and 30 per buck. according to my research that seemed about average. i actually have 2 breeders in town/nearby and they charge the same almost.

as for my lathe house /shed i will post some pics...i took a few durring construction and i will take some more about it. so far i love it but i am affraid i will need to move the whole thing since it has already gotten to 80 deg inside the shed....i think the sun was on the thermometer or i will be getting a mesh tarp and make a shade cover for it...i dont have much shade in the yard. i was hoping our 95-100 degree sumers could be mitigated with air flow and shade...i may have to do more.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mitransplant said:

THANKS
That's about the minimum cost in this area for decent junior breeding stock. It's actually a very small investment for an animal that can give you 150-200 pounds of meat a year, or around 120+- rabbits over 3 years to eat or sell.

Feed store rabbits around here are just whatever is the most popular mini house-pet breed. If you find a breeder near you with good, healthy junior stock for $45 you'll usually end up waaay ahead in time and cost savings over cheaper inferior stock.