NEW KIDS WITH CROOKED FRONT LEG/FEET

danetschool

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A question on my unpregnant doe. Her udder has developed significantly. Sites I have looked at stated that a developed udder on a young doe is not a sign of pregnancy. Is this true?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first thing I think of when I see udder development is that babies are coming at some point. Especially when you say "significant" udder development. My question is - why are you certain this doe is NOT pregnant? I believe you stated that you haven't seen her cycle and that she's been with the buck? Generally speaking - that indicates pregnancy. ;)

If you are going by belly size, I'll share a very short story with you. I once had a pygmy doe that I hoped was bred but she didn't develop a large, wide belly. However, she was very deep bodied. She developed an udder and eventually went into labor. That was early in my goat ownership and she had problems. I called the vet and after looking at her he thought perhaps she had one baby that was not presenting correctly because of her lack of belly size. He went in and untangled and delivered triplets, lol. Long story short - belly size is not always an indicator of pregnancy.

Can you post a pic of your doe. Maybe a side shot, an udder shot, and a shot from above? It would be interesting to see.

You are correct that an open doe can develop an udder. It's called "precocious" udder and happens occasionally.

If you want to be sure - there is a blood test to detect pregnancy in goats. It's inexpensive ($6.00) and would give you the answer you need.

danetschool

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The first thing I think of when I see udder development is that babies are coming at some point. Especially when you say "significant" udder development. My question is - why are you certain this doe is NOT pregnant? I believe you stated that you haven't seen her cycle and that she's been with the buck? Generally speaking - that indicates pregnancy. ;)
After looking the doe, Pepper, over this morning I'm thinking she is pregnant after all. Her udder is bigger than just two days ago and tauter. She seems to be taking on a more pregnant look; possibly just my wishful thinking.
If you are going by belly size, I'll share a very short story with you. I once had a pygmy doe that I hoped was bred but she didn't develop a large, wide belly. However, she was very deep bodied. She developed an udder and eventually went into labor. That was early in my goat ownership and she had problems. I called the vet and after looking at her he thought perhaps she had one baby that was not presenting correctly because of her lack of belly size. He went in and untangled and delivered triplets, lol. Long story short - belly size is not always an indicator of pregnancy.
We've seen this with our dogs; not showing until the last week before delivery.

Can you post a pic of your doe. Maybe a side shot, an udder shot, and a shot from above? It would be interesting to see.
I'll have my Kimmi take pictures when we can and post them. Neither of us are doing well today. Very cold and the weather makes the aches and pains so much worse. It's this dang triple wide; the floors are always like walking on ice.

You are correct that an open doe can develop an udder. It's called "precocious" udder and happens occasionally.

If you want to be sure - there is a blood test to detect pregnancy in goats. It's inexpensive ($6.00) and would give you the answer you need.
Good to know. Thank you.

t1.jpg
This is our buck, Toby. Friends warned us against having a buck in that they stink and are nasty. Not Toby. He always smells of warm hay and no nastiness about him. He is just as nice and friendly as he was as a small kid.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll have my Kimmi take pictures when we can and post them. Neither of us are doing well today.
No rush - at your leisure! Maybe she'll have babies soon and you can post pics of them! Hope you warm up - I'm a cold weather wuss. I prefer to hibernate than go out in the cold.

Have you tried to feel the ligaments in Pepper's rear to try to determine when delivery might be close? It's easy and is a reliable indicator of upcoming labor.

Good luck!

danetschool

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No rush - at your leisure! Maybe she'll have babies soon and you can post pics of them! Hope you warm up - I'm a cold weather wuss. I prefer to hibernate than go out in the cold.

Have you tried to feel the ligaments in Pepper's rear to try to determine when delivery might be close? It's easy and is a reliable indicator of upcoming labor.

Good luck!
I tried to do the ligament test with Inky and I guess I do not know how to do it right as Inky's kids were a surprise.

I will see if there is a youtube video I can watch-words didn't do it. This afternoon I thought I could feel movement; could have been a rumbling stomach. Accck-I've a lot to learn with the goats.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she has an udder she is pregnant. Just wait - they will arrive! Everyone says feel the ligaments butin 35 yers I have hnever been able to tell that way. i watch the udder and vulva. When it gets soft, wobbly, and darker pink she is close. If you think she is due now, you can check her teats and she might have a few drops of colostrum come out. I don't bother with that because I don't want to squeeze out the good stuff! LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any time you have a question or need help, just bring it to the forum. Bent legs, udder, pregnant or not, You will get the help and answers you need.

Sounds like y'all are about to be grand-goaties again!