New shepherd hunting GulfCoastNative info

StandingOakHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all, we’re a small farm in East Texas. We’ve had a small herd of mini Nubians for the last 2 years and I’ve decided to transition to sheep. Looking around at breeds I went down a heritage hunt and ended up finding a Texan landrace race, the gulf coast natives. I was hoping to talk to some people who have them and pick your brains.

We’ve got 3 acres broke into 3 equal pens, good well water to floated troughs. A small stall that I plan to convert to a working area to shear and milk if we ever delve into dairy sheep.

It’s nothing fancy, but just an attempt at home raised protein that’s more efficient than the mini nubs I got to start out. Lol.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. I’m also in East Texas, between Lufkin and Crockett. I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Where are you located?

StandingOakHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. I’m also in East Texas, between Lufkin and Crockett. I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Where are you located?
Between Lovelady and Crockett! I was actually reading your Lambing Journal yesterday to just study up some. I didn’t realize you were that close. Thank you!

StandingOakHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We actually have Gulf Coast Native/Katahdin crosses, and live in NE Texas! I'd be happy to answer your questions.
How do you like the cross? I’d been looking at pure natives to try and help converse the breed and the dualish purpose (meat, fiber, some folks milk I think). I tracked down a couple pure ewes out San Antonio way but I’m hunting closer before I want to take that jaunt. Lol.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How do you like the cross? I’d been looking at pure natives to try and help converse the breed and the dualish purpose (meat, fiber, some folks milk I think). I tracked down a couple pure ewes out San Antonio way but I’m hunting closer before I want to take that jaunt. Lol.
They are smaller than the Katahdins, and a little bit hardier. We bought them from a guy in Arkansas who crossed in the Gulf Coasts with his Katahdins mainly because they have better hooves. We aren't really interested in fiber, so if you are you'll want to get full GCN, because the Katahdin genes give them hair coats. I only have 1 cross that has a heavy wool coat.
As far as meat, a 1 year old lamb gives probably 35-40 pounds. We are currently moving toward registered Katahdins. The Gulf Coasts are hardy little things, but we prefer the larger carcass size and the hair coat of the Katahdins. But if the wool and smaller size are what you're going for, GCNs are great! We know someone in South Texas, (Houston area) who is raising them. I think GCNs can be horned, so that's also something to keep in mind.
If you'd like, I can try to hunt down the info on the people we got the crosses from, and also the acquaintance in South Texas. GCNs are a lot harder to find than hair sheep!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, I was wrong, it was Hempstead Texas. Here is the link to his farm. He will probably have some good info for you, and he even has some sheep for sale.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is your main reason for having them and go from there. I have a friend who did a lot of reading research, but no actual hands on. He bought St Croix. Now he is disenchanted because they have a small carcass. Buying a starter flock is an investment so make sure that is what you really want. Visit farms wherever possible, and get live input from people. Make no commitment until you are satisfied with your choice of breed.