New to Breeding and think hubby's doing it wrong, LOL.

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have three bucks and one of them (flemish) he:

1) Keeps in a cage with females at all times (New Zealands and one other Flemish). He switches him from one cage to the other.
2) We have seen him attempting to breed anything moving (his name is "Thumper"; hmmm, wonder why the seller named him that, LOL)

I'd like to know if there is a problem with keeping him in the case with females all the time? I read somewhere that if a female is pregnant she won't want to be bothered with him. These girls run from him (like a case of bad breath). So, I don't know if they're already pregnant or don't want to be in a cage with him???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lyric

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
chances are the does are bred. the trouble with keeping the buck in with the does, when they get ready to have the kits, he may kill and eat them. as soon as she has the kits, he will breed her again, and 30 days later you have another batch of bunnies and no rest for the doe. really hard on her

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, Curry.

We'll have more cages and have them separated within the next couple of weeks. I'll pass this info. on to him what you said too (to make sure he gets busy on building nesting cages). ;)

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Another problem is the does my castrate him. He's being moved into their turf... which is a bad idea for any species ;)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:lol: sorry, got a good laugh reading just the subject line. Needed that today.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
:lol: sorry, got a good laugh reading just the subject line. Needed that today.
I know, me too. First thought.....Boy is her dh gonna be ticked off. :lol:

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a buck and doe together until a week or so before the doe was due to kindle.
I think keeping opposite genders together depends on the rabbits. Some does may get violent, as AZ said, and try to castrate the male. Others may not care.
I even read somewhere that the buck will sometimes help "care" for the kits...and may even put them back in the nest if they crawl out. I'm not sure how true that is, though. Hovever, the buck CAN make the doe nervous enough to kill the babies.

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I used to keep my doe and buck together, even when the doe kindled. The buck was a great dad and never hurt the kits, and the buck never rebred the doe (though disabled and much slower than him).

I would never do that again, though. Just for safety precautions. Especially with the does I currently own. :rolleyes: