New to Goats - Just got 2

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SO I get home last night and they are gone! I looked for over an hour but my house is surrounded by woods. Long story short they were found looking in the window on the front porch of a house .5 miles down the road. I fixed the issue that they exploted to get out. I am going to build a24ft x 24 ft fence this weekend hopefully. Will this fence wire due?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/genera...l-stays-47-in-h-12-1-2-ga-filler-wire-3610163

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bigcat said:
SO I get home last night and they are gone! I looked for over an hour but my house is surrounded by woods. Long story short they were found looking in the window on the front porch of a house .5 miles down the road. I fixed the issue that they exploted to get out. I am going to build a24ft x 24 ft fence this weekend hopefully. Will this fence wire due?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/genera...l-stays-47-in-h-12-1-2-ga-filler-wire-3610163
What is the distance between the vertical wires? If it is larger than four inches they will be constantly getting thier heads stuck.

bigcat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think it is 4"

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Bigcat~ The wire you linked to has 6 inch spacing for wire. We have the same thing used here and our goats can get their heads through it, but usually they can get it back out too even with their horns. They can get stuck though. We've had to untangle one of our wethers once because he got himself stuck in the fence. They will also climb on the fence as well unless you use a strand of electric wire with it as well.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sharp looking goats. Nice pic quality! Like your killing cones in the background. Did you make them o buy them?
Btw- goats do multiply quickly... you start with 2 then say well just 1 more, and you say it again and again.... :)

Syman Says Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Those are just gorgeous goats you have there! My heart sank when you posted about them being missing. I'm so glad you found them! But, wow... 1/2 mile away. That's scary. I don't have any suggestions for fencing as I'm too new at all this and still doing my own research. Hope they don't escape on you again!

Blarneyeggs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, these goats are stunning! I'm glad you found them. Do you know if the doe is pregnant yet? It would be nice to have an idea of when she's going to kid.