New to the whole goat thing...ADVICE AND TIPS PLEASE?!

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got a Nigerian Dwarf Goat doeling yesterday. Through a series of unfortunet timing, the breeder had to deliver a horse and so her mom delivered the goat to me, so I didn't get to ask all my questions! Maybe you folks who are experienced with goats can help?
She's barely two months old. My last convo with the breeder (actually, i guess she got her as a newborn, then decided to downsize, so ig the previous owner) she told me the doeling is on a bottle twice a day. She gave me a 10 ounce baby bottle. I heated whole milk today for almost one minute. I gave her all 10 ounces 2 times today. Also a leaf of alfalfa. Should she had unlimited alfalfa? Is that enough for a 2 month old Nigie? Or too little? Also...when is the best age to wean completely to solids, and what feed to you recommend (that purina goat chow stuff?)?
I'm doing my research in all my goat books, but I just want to hear first hand if I'm doing it right.
Also...do you have any tips on getting her to bond with me? Also...any tips on showing a little Nigie doeling in a show class with other fullsize dairy doelings? She'll be 4 months old when the fair rolls around. Any clipping or showmanship tips?
LASTLY...ANYONE KNOW ABOUT LIVESTOCK "SELF INSPECTION" FORMS-- I KNOW I NEED ONE TO APPLY FOR A SEASONAL PASS, BUT THE BREEDER DIDNT GIVE ME ONE, SO WHERE WOULD I GET ONE?

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I dont show my goats so no help there. I would continue the bottle for a while till she bonds with you and it wont hurt her either. Hay wont hurt her and grain would be good also but you want to start her out with a little and gradually move it up to a cup 2x a day. she needs the grain. I feed whole oats, goat grain (no molasses) and alfalfa pellets mixed with some BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) this helps to add shine to the coat. I would start her on a little goat grain and oats since you are giving her the hay. I would give her a CD/T shot and worm her soon also. So far this is all I can think of rite now. Good luck and welcome to the goat world...

Latest posts