new zealand / dutch what do you think?

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been looking for either a new zealand, californian, or silver fox buck to breed with my californian / new Zealand cross doe's. My grandpa has always raised meat rabbits and told me to breed them with our pet dutch. Personally I think this sounds like a bad idea and that it will be better to wait until I find a buck that is a meat breed. What do you think?

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
justin said:
I have been looking for either a new zealand, californian, or silver fox buck to breed with my californian / new Zealand cross doe's. My grandpa has always raised meat rabbits and told me to breed them with our pet dutch. Personally I think this sounds like a bad idea and that it will be better to wait until I find a buck that is a meat breed. What do you think?
I say bred her to your dutch until you find a suitable larger meat breed. Dutch, while smaller, have a surprisingly good shape for meat. I mean, they may be smaller than the avg. meat bread, but in the mean time you will have your own healthy meat to eat.

Shannon
www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I, too, think grandpa's right. Especially if the does are nearing 9-12 months and I couldn't find a different buck, I'd use the dutch just to get them bred, and hopefully have cornish rabbit in the freezer :D while you locate what you want. Too bad you're not in AZ as I have several nice proven bucks, some nzw/calis, too.

Can you use another barn's buck for a fee maybe,? Or get a young breeding age buck of a different large breed to use for a few months? That buck could be butchered when your other buck was ready to breed.

Much of the time good meat stock has to be purchased young and raised up...since anything older than 12 weeks or so that's not sold by then goes into the freezer.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My friend breeds all of her meat rabbits to her pet dutch... The babies are just as big as the NZ..... but prettier since they are different colors :) Gorgeous pelts too, btw

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I guess I'm breeding them with my dutch soon. I never should have questioned grAndpa; he did teach me everything I know about meat rabbits. (not saying that's a lot)

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Didn't the guy who wrote "Raising rabbits the modern way" breed Dutch for meat? I think he said pound per pound they were more efficient. ? Maybe I'm remembering wrong..........

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
dutch cross do make nice meat rabbits. not that much difference in size really

SJVjim

Just born
Reaction score
I've raised meat rabbits for about 3 years now and just discovered this site. I'd like to introduce myself a bit by replying to your post, if you don't mind.

My rabbit 'herd' is Dutch/Californian. LOTS of good producing stock there. Go for it.

Here in the Central San Joaquin Valley, CA, it can get very hot so our biggest challenge has been preventing overheating them.

Best of success.....jim

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some frozen water bottles seem to do fine around here, I would like to get a fan put up though.

justin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I got my does bred I also just purchased a purebred californian that's already bred and 3 young california/silver fox mixes.