newbie question

dottysfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking about raising two sheep (they say you must raise them in pairs... is this correct?), what kind of space do I need to give them for graizing? I have read that sheep can get all their nutrients from pasture... is this true? I do prefer to do things not commercially if possible. Right now I have chickens and I feed them grains and kitchen scraps as well as hard boiled eggs and sprouts. Any comments are welcome as I need to learn. Thanks :)

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Strictly Grass fed lamb is in big demand. No creep feed for the lambs just mums milk then hay and grass (must be very good hay and pasture) Our Romney sheep thrive on this method but dont expect your lambs to be market ready for Easter - ours take roughly 8 months to finish but the results are superb.

At least 2 sheep and a couple of acres of good pasture - not sure where you are but our climate is hot humid summers and a brutal winter so choose your breed carefully

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You need to contact the locals, Vet, Extension Office, breeders, to find what your area lacks in minerals. Every area lacks SOMETHING, may even have an excess in the soil, that needs to be dealt with.

The Eastern Seaboard, Midwest, both have a lack of selenium in their soils. So we need to give Selenium shots, maybe add it to their grain mix. A mineral block is NOT ENOUGH intake to take care of the problem, and MIGHT contain copper, which is bad for sheep!

Feeding grass is fine, but since our soil has NO Selenium, any of the grazing animals here, need to be supplemented with Selenium and Vit E, which helps them absorb the Selenium. If you don't give both, the Selenium addition is wasted, just excreted out of the body.

Having had Selenium issues, it is AMAZING how many areas the animal needs those millionth size parts to function well!! Reproduction is a critical area for all breeders, with muscle use right behind. Horses can be severely affected, because their main use is riding, where the muscles functioning well are critical. Selenium hits other body areas as well, so having enough in their diet is extremely important.

For my big horses, 1400# to 1500# in regular exercise, sweating out the Selenium often, a teaspoon for each is enough to keep their levels correct. My Dexter heifer last year only needed a 1/4 teaspoon daily, because she was so much smaller going from about 400# to about 600# when sold. Adding it got and kept her heat cycles regular, so no issues to get her bred when I wanted to.

Talking to the local folks who deal with minerals in your area, should help you the best. Many areas have plenty of Selenium, don't need supplementing, but animals do need some other minerals to balance them.

The Extension Service is there to help you, in place to work for farmers, breeders and folks in the country who need help with specifics. Gardeners having pest issues. Call and ask for advice! Usually listed under your State name, in the County Seat town.

Latest posts