Newbie questions-Goat and horse feed-UPDATED W PICS!!!

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
you may find that the goats stick with each other and are less company for the aged stallion than if it was just one goat, because they are social creatures. We kept a lil doe loose in our horse barn growing up and she went in and out of all the stalls and slept under the corner hay feeder with one older mare every night. Do be careful if your stallion wears a halter all the time, your does horns may get hung up if the two are playing/ nuzzling each other. our lil doe would jump up into the horse troughs after they had eaten to get any scraps and she would jump on the old mare if she was laying down as if she was a play gym.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very Cute!! They have alot of room! I like that...my guys live like kings too!! Its nice to see :)

Rilly10

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It is too cute to see them all eating from one hay pile! I give the goats hay in their own area but they pee on it and go eat with the stallion instead!

Thanks for the tip about the halter...he dosn't wear one other than for short periods of time before the vet or farrier arrive or if I am working with him.

The goats sleep in their own shed which is bedded down with straw ans the stallion sleeps in his shed with a dirt floor. I don't mind that they sleep seperated.

It has been really cool to watch them all. Cass (the stallion is protective over them. He always watches them and if the neighbors dog comes over he chases him away which he never did before the goats. He is not mean but just positions him self between them. He has also calmed down so much... no more hollering or pacing. He missed his old gelding buddy which is why I got them and now he is back to his happy laid back self!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUE HELP AND SUPPORT! I will try to get pics of all three together this weekend!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's super cool! Almost sounds like he's taken them on as "his" now.. :)

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At this moment...my bucks stay with my horses. My mare loves having the buckling under her and rubbing against her legs. The Gelding tolerates them around, but is not as cuddly. The barn is situated so that both horse stalls are open to the paddock and there's another stall with a goat sized door that is open for the bucks. My does goaty door opens to a seperate yard next to that one. It works for now.

My bucks get fed in their stall. They also have loose mineral in there and their own hay and water. But they hang out with the horses a lot. In fact, my mare gets upset if I take her goats away to go for a walk. The buckling gets upset when I take his horses out without him.

Rilly10

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cass and his girls...
2640_cassandgoats.jpg

2640_closeup.jpg

2640_goatseating.jpg

2640_looking.jpg

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Aww, that is exactly how it was with my mare....all blissfully eating from one pile of hay.... :love