NH Homesteader- turkeys!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
20160812_185645.jpg

Lilly 2 year old ADGA Nigi. My first milker!

Attachments

• 20160812_185654.jpg
    20160812_185654.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 132

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My phone is rebelling. That's Patty in the attachment... Not where I put that picture but OK. She's a 4 month old mini alpine who will be registered with MDGA when I bother with the paperwork. And here is her sister Peppermint, who never stays still!
20160812_185658.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are smart to figure out what works for you and concentrate on it. Are you going to sell feeder pigs? Have you considered custom growing for people? More and more people are becoming aware of industrial meat and wanting something better, better for the animal itself and better meat for them. I am selling my lambs for $6 a pound hanging weight plus processing.

After lots of reading and study, I settled on hair sheep. We bought 4 bred ewes and I am taking 3 lambs to slaughter next month. I have 2 1/2 of them sold and we are taking the other half. I am adding 2 ewe lambs to the flock. I also have chickens, buy a special non GMO feed for them at twice the price and sell eggs. Everybody around here sells eggs for $2 and mine are $4, but it is the non GMO that people are willing to pay for. I have 8 laying hens now, adding 12 more and am selling out of eggs. I am starting small and growing.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are going to end up doing an odd mix most likely of selling some piglets and selling finished meat. My husband butchers pigs and poultry. Not USDA though so we can only sell so much and sell to friends and family. I don't know how anyone can eat a heritage pasture raised pork chop and ever buy grocery store pork again! Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are a ton of organic and non Gmo pasture based farmers around here and prices are high! Lots of competition. Conventional eggs are $3.50-4 a dozen here, organic is something like $6 I think? Piglets are easy to sell around here, and my husband will probably get processing work out of it too!

What breed of sheep? I've looked into Katahdin (spelling?) sheep, but honestly I have never eaten lamb so I don't even know if I like it!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our ewes are half Dorper and half Katahdin, they were bred to a Katahdin ram, so the 2 ewe lambs we are keeping are 1/4 Dorper and 3/4 Katahdin. We have a Dorper ram.