Nigerian Dwarf. due soon!!

Dreubber

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought my first goat today. She is 10 months old and prego. Told due in Jan, they think but not a date. How do I go about figuring out when shes due?

Attachments

• DSCF8477.JPG
    DSCF8477.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 156
  • 01515_54ZKjTB6oi_600x450.jpg
    01515_54ZKjTB6oi_600x450.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 143

♡♥★☆Goat-lover☆★♥♡

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just wait till her due date is up in if she doesn't kid then it wasn't her due date but im pretty sure someone on here can give you better advise In more experice than I have I some girls that should kid around January in march

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a great resource on what to look for, some signs, and how to check ligaments (one of the best indicators of imminent delivery in my experience/opinion). I usually know the month, but not the exact date for my girls, so I usually start checking ligaments and udders about 2 weeks before I think they're due to be on the safe side - it also helps you KNOW when the ligaments are gone if you've been feeling for them every day for a while!
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from North Carolina :frow

Good luck with your new goat and first kidding.

SA Farm gave you good advice.

Dreubber

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
also I keep seeing to feed grain but when I search for what kind of grain it just says grain or goat grain. what kind/type of grain is ok/good for her?

Dreubber

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, lots of info

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
also I keep seeing to feed grain but when I search for what kind of grain it just says grain or goat grain. what kind/type of grain is ok/good for her?
Do you have a farm supply store in your area ?
Should have some type of goat feed.

Last edited:

omani

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am in the same situation. We got our first goats, a doe and wether, in October. I was told that she was due in mid December - early January. The doe definitely looks pregnant. I'm a nervous wreck waiting to be a Gramma.
Dreubber, I have found that most people use grain and feed(pellets) interchangeably.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dry lot my pygmy and LaMancha goats and they get either alfalfa twice daily or sudan hay and goat formulated feed. I like Dumor goat feed (which isn't medicated) which I buy at TSC and my goats have done extremely well on this, getting a small amount twice daily. I have a friend that lives within a 1/4-mile of me that also raises pygmy goats. Her goats are pasture fed and receive feed once a day, and in comparing mine to hers, mine have thicker, better looking coats and overall appear healthier. I guess something can be said for dry lotting your goats with this comparison. I give them nothing else and rarely have to worm them, since they don't eat off the ground much. Of course, dry lotting my goats is much more costly, but I keep a small herd of 5 goats, 4 does and a buck to keep the expense down. I do get a great deal on sudan hay, with the large round bale being only $50 delivered. My goats love it.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome from Vermont. There is no way of telling her exact due date. So use the link that SAfarm provided to help you prepare. Even if you have a due date, goats have a way of throwing you off. LOL. I have two right now that are due in Jan, around the 11th, they have been showing early kidding signs for 2 weeks. As of yesterday 5pm no kids. Another due around the same time and no signs yet at all.

Grain feeding is by choice of each individual and your set up. My girls get sweet feed made for goats. I get it at my local feed store but it can be found at TS. However, my goats that are not expecting get a bit less the expecting ones and I only feed this from Oct. until April or May. During the Spring and summer they are on grass. When they are on grass I have to watch for worms more so than during winter months on dry lot. I have been lucky so far as it has been years since any animals have pastured in the area my goats are in.

Good luck and pictures please when the little one/ones arrive.