Not an LGD but a Laekenois litter (European stye herder)

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cute little potatoes!

Is their color similar to the English cream color in dachshunds? Because those start out dark and then lighten. I always found it confusing that every dog breed has its own nomenclature for the same color genetics. Or maybe it’s just dachshunds that have to be different. Such as calling the merle gene “dapple”.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cute little potatoes!

Is their color similar to the English cream color in dachshunds? Because those start out dark and then lighten. I always found it confusing that every dog breed has its own nomenclature for the same color genetics. Or maybe it’s just dachshunds that have to be different. Such as calling the merle gene “dapple”.
I don't know anything about dachshunds so ?? I know the Belgians - Tervuren and Laekenois start out anywhere from dark seal brown/black and then lighten up to what you see in my dogs. The Tervuren lighten and then those that are what the standard calls for get a black overlay - the guard hairs are actually three colors on each hair - tan to mahogany and tipped in black. The Laekens do not have that, though their coats should become coarse and "curly" (though not poodle curly).

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Curly...ish 🤣. I always smile at Obi's ear fluff.
:)
Ree shows more curl in the one pic. Zo? He looks wiry 🤣 like a bad hair day.
Ree has a little more curl than Zo - at the moment -- won't be long and she'll have hardly any hair :lol:. Zo at the moment has less - he's been blowing coat for a few weeks. LOL he kinda looks like he has a mohawk :lol:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So last night this happened......
IMG_8052.JPEG

IMG_8056.JPEG

Starting to walk - 8 days old. By 11 they'll probably be teetering around the whelping box.
Pink girl was asleep.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pups are all gaining -- excellent.
I converted grams to pounds and they are all 1.85# , 1.73# and 1.35# 👍 👍 👍
Not quite walking but a lot of walking attempts. Eyes should open in a few days - though for the last few when I use a flash on the camera sleeping pups will stir every time - soooo I think they do notice changes in light even with eyes that have yet to open.
What is it with people, I've got 2 boys 1 girl -- four people want boys -- I want whatever is best for me - but it's looking like the girl will be mine. Not complaining, just I bred for me first. Sigh. Time will tell and it's still early. At this point any one of the pups would be good for me. Having that consistency in the litter is a good thing.
Damn they're cute.

The pack starts to visit.

IMG_8079 copy.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first litter I bred of Weimaraners, the parents were a bonded pair. The whelping box was a 4x8' sheet of plywood with 18" sides. When the puppies were were about 2 weeks old I discovered the male laying in the end of the whelping box! Apparently it was ok with mom!