Nubians being duel purpose?

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've heard that goats put their fat on the outside of the meat, so it's not desirable to fatten them up (like it is with cows). Is this a misconception? Or are you meaning they "beef" them up, meaning to get them bigger, but it's not actually fat. ??

Any details anywhere for a "before" slaughter feeding guide? :rolleyes: :D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It's true that goats don't "marble" like cattle do.

Lots of exercise will make more "muscle" (meat). Gotta feed 'em to produce it. They make specific "meat maker" feeds to help them put on more muscle than fat.

I've not eaten any, but from what I understand, it's best in stews and kabobs or ground and as summer sausage, as opposed to steaks and such, since there is so little fat it's tougher than beef (but better for you).

doo dah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
It's true that goats don't "marble" like cattle do.

Lots of exercise will make more "muscle" (meat). Gotta feed 'em to produce it. They make specific "meat maker" feeds to help them put on more muscle than fat.

I've not eaten any, but from what I understand, it's best in stews and kabobs or ground and as summer sausage, as opposed to steaks and such, since there is so little fat it's tougher than beef (but better for you).
That's not what I hear at all. I hear you just have to cook them slower and make sure they don't run out of moisture, if you do that they make steak just fine. I keep wondering what the difference in flavor vs. beef would be....

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I can't remember the what the difference was, but I do remember that goat was delicious! We ate the boys from our dairy goats when I was a kid. They were young, though. My father would process any and all animals in the fall when they started using more feed to keep warm than to grow.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yeah...you cook them slower and make sure they don't run out of moisture because they will be tough otherwise.
Meaning, since they don't marble like beef, you have to treat / cook the meat differently.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I seem to remember eating it as ground meat or as chunks of meat in the most wonderful stews, or with a flavorful gravy over noodles. Yum.

doo dah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Yeah...you cook them slower and make sure they don't run out of moisture because they will be tough otherwise.
Meaning, since they don't marble like beef, you have to treat / cook the meat differently.
Ahhh, I get it.

-you guys are making me hungry!