nursing question

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bella is so interested in licking the baby she spins around when the baby tries to nurse. Is this normal? We held her and let the baby drink a bit, but do we need to milk her and bottle feed?

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Suburbanfarmer said:
Bella is so interested in licking the baby she spins around when the baby tries to nurse. Is this normal? We held her and let the baby drink a bit, but do we need to milk her and bottle feed?
It is normal, give them some time and they will figure it out.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She will do it often and the doeling will get annoyed.
"quit cleaning me Ma! I'm trying to eat!" :gig

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
keep holding the doe 4 or 5 times during the day, so the baby can nurse and in a couple days the doe should figure it out. If her udder is tight, milk some of the extra out to help with the pressure.

You can also give banamine for pain, incase discomfort is the reason she wont let the baby nurse. But this isn't that uncommon for a first timmer.

Keep them in a small pen, no more than 4x 8, maybe 6 x 8 until she becomes a better mom.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is doing better this morning. I think she is so tired that she would rather stand still. When I went out this morning the baby was definitely satisfied and one side of the doe was much less full than the other side. I milked out a bit of the other side because it was so full. Both seem happy and comfortable today.

Thanks for all the help though! This forum was super helpful through the whole process. Y'all are great!