NZW Bucks are turning brown

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I do have the plastic resting mats and they do get pee'd on. I will start changing them out more often on my two bucks and will try to keep them a little farther from the does. One of mine did have a scald spot but put a little bag balm on it and is ok now. The crazy rabbit lady suggested NZR as an option but maybe I could claim a new breed. NZT ( New Zealand Tans).

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
do you keep all your bucks in the same area or are they spread out among the does? I found that if I kept all my bucks together they sprayed more. And if any constantly sprayed me when I walked past their pen they did not stay around long. If one buck sprays into another bucks cage that buck will spray to cover the new smell. Then the first one will spray to cover his neighbors smell......

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That sounds logical. Yes, I do have my 2 bucks side by side. I will try separating them and see if it makes a difference. My oldest buck isn't so much of a problem but the one I have that has just come of breeding age is terrible. I am going to have to give him a bath because he is getting really bad. I need to tattoo his ear with a biohazard symbol. Someone suggested I ditch the urine guards but I have them 2 high on his cage and he still manages to spray over the top of them and all over the wall and windows behind him. Thanks for this suggestion, will give it a try and see if it helps. PO

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
P.O. in MO said:
That sounds logical. Yes, I do have my 2 bucks side by side. I will try separating them and see if it makes a difference. My oldest buck isn't so much of a problem but the one I have that has just come of breeding age is terrible. I am going to have to give him a bath because he is getting really bad. I need to tattoo his ear with a biohazard symbol. Someone suggested I ditch the urine guards but I have them 2 high on his cage and he still manages to spray over the top of them and all over the wall and windows behind him. Thanks for this suggestion, will give it a try and see if it helps. PO
I had a Jersey Wooly buck that was out of a line of rabbits with Z names. This guy got the Z in the middle of his name; I named him Wizard, ear no. WIZ. At the first show he went to, he sprayed the judge! The judge had a good sense of humor about it; when he checked the ear and saw the tattoo, he said, "I should have checked here first. I'd have been warned!" That buck's father wasn't bad in his cage, but if I put a doe on the grooming table before I brushed him, he'd smell the doe smell on the mat and write, "Ziggy was here" right across the front of my shirt. IME, young bucks are worse about it than older bucks, I guess the more mature animals are more comfortable with their buckness, and don't feel a need to prove it all over the place.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on this. Moved his cage yesterday morning and gave him a bath. Got some of the grunge off but I think the spray and urine stains the fur. He looks better and isn't so crusty. I hung some piddle pads on 2 sides of his cage to stop him from spraying where I don't want and as of last night he hasn't sprayed them. He wasn't real happy about the bath, definitely a 2 person job. We'll see what happens. PO

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think piddle pads are puppy house training pads... absorbent on one side and waterproof on the other.

By the way, welcome back. Everything go alright with your daughter?

PO in MO, sorry for highjacking your thread.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My daughter kindled on July 31st and had a 6 pound 15 oz buck!

So the piddle pads don't actually "stop" the buck from spraying, but keeps it from hitting the wall? Okay... I was hoping she meant she had something that stopped the buck from spraying.