Oh brother article in new york daily news bashing ARBA and meat rabbit

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i could never eat rabbit after owning mine, but i dont conem people for doing it. it is there chocie let them make it it is not you buisness.

nogoatsyet

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jeez louise, what an article. That has to be one of the most absurd things I've read in a while. Rabbits are cute so we shouldn't eat them? Well, I think cows are pretty darn cute myself, but she didn't bring up the fact that we use leather products all over the place. And as other people said, what about the chickens? She has a problem with chickens and rabbits being equated, despite the fact that they are both small farm animals that people can raise themselves even if they don't have a farm so it makes sense that the rules governing them would be different. Does she prefer people stick to buying meat from the grocery store where it was raised and slaughtered 'humanely'? Is she even aware what those so called humane practices are really like, and how much better most rabbits who are raised by families for food get to live? Argh, I'm all in a bad mood now. I fully support raising rabbits for meat, and while my two bunnies are strictly pets, I have friends who do so. I think the worst part was her blasting organizations like World Vision that give rabbits to families in poor parts of the world so that the families can raise their own meat and maybe even make a little cash. How DARE she discourage that. And may I note that I am a vegetarian? We are not all crazy people. Although I didn't get the impression she had a problem with eating other animals, just rabbits. Wonder what she would do if she found out there are parts of the world that eat dogs (gasp!). I tried to comment on the article itself, but couldn't figure out how without doing it through facebook.

Snowfie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ibreedlionheads said:
It just proves how distant America is from their food supply. Rabbit is technically still considered a livestock animal...

Why should rabbits be protected as much as a cat or dog, when they can provide us with a useful product? I consider my rabbits pets, but I consider my chickens and ducks pets too. And I'd eat a rabbit, chicken, or duck that I raised.
I agree with you but like anything else I think it depends on the breed. There are certain breeds that are optomized for use as pets: dwarfs and lops being chief among them. And there are some rabbits that are optomized to use as lifestock.

Most rabbits people breed for meat would not be suitable for indoor pets and visa versa. That's okay. There's room for both schools of thought.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My New Zealand buck is my pet as well as my breeding buck for meat. He is so calm and relaxed that I let one of my special ed students show him in the fair last year. He has litter trained himself to the point that he will use his food bowl if he can't find a litter box even though he is in a wire bottom cage.

Latest posts