Organic feed and minerals - pellets vs hay, and which supplements?

aank4

Just born
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have an organic feed supply store in town, and they have some good options. Our first goats will be coming home soon, and I'd like to slowly change them over to organic feed if they are not already on it.

One question I have is about hay vs pellets - I have allergies, and do a LOT better with pellets (which are no problem) than I do with hay (which gives me itchy eyes and sneezing every time). I do fine with straw bedding, and most other plants, but grass hays are no fun for me. Are alfalfa pellets okay in lieu of hay? Any potential problems from doing that? Obviously I want to do what is best for the goats. :)

Our feed store also has (and recommends) the following: Fertrell's Premier Goat Minerals and Sweetlix Caprine Milk Minerals, Kelp Meal, Diamond V Yeast, Feed Sulfur, Sodium Bicarb / Baking Soda, Azomite Trace Minerals, Dolomite 10AG, Redmond Organic Trace Mineral Salt

What are the benefits of each of these? I know salt is important, and baking soda can help with rumen pH values for the goats. Kelp meal I would imagine provides vitamins similar to leafy greens. Anyway, are all of these really necessary to have free choice? (I imagine if you get one of the mineral mixes, that it takes care of at least some of that?)

Thanks all. :)

Amy

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It is really better to feed roughage because the length of the stems help keep the rumen working. I have heard that 4" of length helps to keep the rumen working but lately I've also heard as little as 2". If you can feed them at least 1/4 lb of hay per day and then give them the rest of what they need in pellets.

aank4

Just born
Reaction score
Oh, they'll have browse, if it's a matter of stems/roughage. It just wouldn't be hay. If that makes a difference.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
In winter when there is no or little browse, you may need to feed hay.
Mine have pasture / grass but I still give them hay daily to avoid 'changing' their diet. Not a lot, but enough that everyone gets some.

Goats don't 'need' every supplement available. Ours get a good goat mineral and I do give our does kelp meal during gestation / lactation (rich in iodine).

Salt itself isn't as important as the trace minerals. I don't give bicarb free choice (except for the 1st week on pasture in spring to help prevent bloat / stomach upset)...I save it for when needed (almost never in 15 years). I top dress their pellets w/ probiotic powder every day and our tummy issues are very few and far between.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
In winter when there is no or little browse, you may need to feed hay.
Mine have pasture / grass but I still give them hay daily to avoid 'changing' their diet. Not a lot, but enough that everyone gets some.

Goats don't 'need' every supplement available. Ours get a good goat mineral and I do give our does kelp meal during gestation / lactation (rich in iodine).

Salt itself isn't as important as the trace minerals. I don't give bicarb free choice (except for the 1st week on pasture in spring to help prevent bloat / stomach upset)...I save it for when needed (almost never in 15 years). I top dress their pellets w/ probiotic powder every day and our tummy issues are very few and far between.
:thumbsup What she said!

To add:
In the summer I don't feed hay at all, unless it is a rainy day and they are locked in the barn. Typically, mine won't eat it when they are on pasture, they just waste it all and sleep in it. Around September I start feeding it again because of lack of good pasture.
I feed these minerals free choice: http://www.tractorsupply.com/manna-pro-reg-goat-mineral-trade-supplement-8-lb--5099436
I like that particular one because it also has Ammonium Chloride in it (for the boys).
I do feed alfalfa pellets as a supplement, but as others have mentioned, if there is no browse, the hay is very important. They are naturally supposed to be eating long-stemmed plants/browse (or hay if those aren't available). Their systems need it. Unfortunately, even if it is bad/inconvenient for you, it is still required for the goats.
Many supplements are over-rated. As Roll said, there is a time and a place for some, but all aren't needed.

aank4

Just born
Reaction score
So, it would seem that the important thing is that they always have some stems to chew on. In Oregon, I doubt that'll be a problem too often. :) Still, I will make sure to have hay, regardless, in some amount.

As a follow-up question - I am less allergic to alfalfa than to grass. Is alfalfa hay okay nutritionally to feed (I have heard of urinary issues - and since I'll have a wether, want to make sure to avoid that).

Thanks again all.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't feed them alfalfa only. It might be too rich and they'll get fat or have other issues. I give my milking girls some alfalfa, usually pellets, and I have a wether who is underweight (just got him 2 weeks ago) that I also give alfalfa to, but just a little daily, free choice hay, they also have a lot of pasture/browse. I'm terribly allergic to grass, too. I have to use an inhaler from about midsummer through fall just due to my grass allergies. I take meds daily, but they aren't enough this time of year. I just deal with it, though. I knew my goats and rabbits needed hay when I got them. Just take a shower or at least wash your face and hands after messing with the hay and change your shirt. That actually helps a lot. My allergist also told me to use saline spray or a neti pot to wash out my nose after being outside, and that also helps quite a bit, but I rarely do it. I should try a little harder to follow her advice, I guess...

Oh, and btw, you aren't allergic to the alfalfa b/c it is a legume, not a grass.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alfalfa is fine for the wether. The problem is making sure to have a properly balanced diet. Goats need a minimum of 2:1 calcium:phosphorus. The problem is when there is more phosphorus. And actually higher than 2:1 is better.

Obaisshah

Just born
Reaction score
aank4 said:
I am fortunate enough to have an organic feed supply store in town, and they have some good options. Our first goats will be coming home soon, and I'd like to slowly change them over to organic feed if they are not already on it.

One question I have is about hay vs pellets - I have allergies, and do a LOT better with pellets (which are no problem) than I do with hay (which gives me itchy eyes and sneezing every time). I do fine with straw bedding, and most other plants, but grass hays are no fun for me. Are alfalfa pellets okay in lieu of hay? Any potential problems from doing that? Obviously I want to do what is best for the goats. :)

Our feed store also has (and recommends) the following: Fertrell's Premier Goat Minerals and Sweetlix Caprine Milk Minerals, Kelp Meal, Diamond V Yeast, Feed Sulfur, Sodium Bicarb / Baking Soda, Azomite Trace Minerals, Dolomite 10AG, Redmond Organic Trace Mineral Salt

What are the benefits of each of these? I know salt is important, and baking soda can help with rumen pH values for the goats. Kelp meal I would imagine provides vitamins similar to leafy greens. Anyway, are all of these really necessary to have free choice? (I imagine if you get one of the mineral mixes, that it takes care of at least some of that?)

Thanks all. :)

Amy
Along with the food, I prefer feeding my goats with N-Timidator. It provides an array of amino acids, protein, calcium and phosphorous and keeps goats healthy and at peak performance. It makes their diet complete and nutritious.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I have grass allergies also, but you can use a simple surgical mask and long sleeves to control the problem somewhat. Also, Compact bales seem to be much less offensive on that order as they don't have the seeds and pollen. They cost about the same by weight and there is FAR less waste.

You can also try supplementing with chaffhay which will reduce the amount of hay you will need to feed.

Latest posts