Orphaned baby bunnies

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow ! Good Job !! What an experience !....learning experience....thanks for posting photo's of the bunnies....

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We lost one last night. Not sure why. They had all been up eating and playing and a short time later it was just laying there on it's side hardly breathing. I managed to get some of the milk into it and kept it warm but, it didn't make it. We're wondering if maybe it got hurt when they were playing but, will never know for sure.

Kute Kitten

Monkey
Reaction score
It was sooooo cute! It died just a day before we would release them into the wild, we hope.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Sorry Kitty.
Thank you.

Little stinkers this morning. I have paper toweling down in the bottom of the aquarium and I was trying to take it out and put in fresh this morning. They had other ideas. I guess it was more fun to get into my way. :gig

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aww, babies. :) I'm glad to hear you're able to feed them. My experience is with domestic rabbits, not wild ones but it sounds like you've got a clear idea of what to do. Cool.

We use goat's milk. It's closest to mama rabbit's. Adding poop into their nest (or even the milk itself) so they can eat it is good. We add goat milk kefir, or yogurt with active cultures, to the milk for probiotics.

Mark the day they opened their eyes. This will be day 10 or 11 for them. I say this because you'll need to know when they can be weaned and then released. Because they grow so fast, a lot of people that breed their domestic pet rabbits, without doing proper research first, take the kits away from their mother too soon and the kits die within a week.

Weaning is a critical time for rabbits. Losses can be expected. For domestics, kits begin to nibble poop and hay very young in the nest box. They keep eating hay and then pelleted foods once they can hop out. We give constant access to timothy, orchard or oat hay at this time. We also give uncooked, old-fashioned (not quick cook) rolled oats to help fight runny stools that could kill them fast.

By 6 weeks of life, meat breeds of domestic rabbit can be considered weaned AND stable. 8 weeks for smaller fancy breeds, and 2 weeks more for a runt kit.

I consider a kit weaned after they have been solely on solid foods for at least 1 1/2 weeks and they look, feel, and act stable. (edit: some of our kits would nurse till they're 4 months old if their mother let them, lol, so keep track of how old your kits are and go by age, not willingness to drink milk) ;)

I'd consider taking them out of the tank. It does not have enough ventilation and rabbits are very prone to respiratory ailments that they can die from. Something with wire grid/mesh sides so they can't get out is best. Just make sure the container is not sitting in a draft.

Have fun with your baby bunny adventure. :D

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish you would have taken pics as you released them! I'd have loved to see them all hopping away!