Our goat shelter... in progress *new pics*

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, here is a pic of the goat barn as it is now. We may still put a shutter or some sort of openable cover over that left top "window"/opening- but it's a hot summer already here, so we're leaving it open for now. Straw is good for the bedding, right? Do they eat it?
Also, the other 2 pics are of a feeder that was left here from the previous owners... can we attach it to the fence and use it, or do you think they'd be able to climb it and get out? The top is not solid (the 2nd pic of it is looking at the top). Thanks!

4182_dscn3759.jpg

4182_dscn3763.jpg

4182_dscn3764.jpg

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also... the goats are here!!! I'm going to make a new post asap- I'm uploading the pics now. Yay! :D

GOATBOOTS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, straw for bedding. Once the hay has been soiled they probably won't eat it. Goats do waste a lot of hay. Once mine pull a clump to the ground they won't eat it. I just rake it up and use it for the goats bedding or in the chicken coop.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I like that feeder....the top not being solid would probably keep the little buggers from jumping up on it. Does it lift up so you can put the hay in?

The reason I like it, the tray underneath should catch a lot of the chaff that they would lose when they pull hay out. Our feeders are sort of like that, but larger.

I give ours their grain (not much this time of year, just enough to make them think they got something), give them a few minutes to eat it (they take all of 30 seconds, the pigs....) and then put the hay in from the top.

Your shelter looks really nice!

:clap

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I like that feeder....the top not being solid would probably keep the little buggers from jumping up on it. Does it lift up so you can put the hay in?

The reason I like it, the tray underneath should catch a lot of the chaff that they would lose when they pull hay out. Our feeders are sort of like that, but larger.

I give ours their grain (not much this time of year, just enough to make them think they got something), give them a few minutes to eat it (they take all of 30 seconds, the pigs....) and then put the hay in from the top.

Your shelter looks really nice!

:clap
Thanks! And, yes- the top opens so you can add the feed from there. :)

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol:Nice job!! hoping my new shelter gets done in a couple of weeks, hubby got a new job!!!

Cara Peachick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very nice job! It looks great!

I have 5 foot no climb horse fence in my "night fortress" and our local coyotes don't bother my goats at all. Or my chickens either. Of course, I also have a Great Pyrenees, so I think they just stay away, period.

Latest posts