Overnight hay for sheep and goats

CoonskinCap

Just born
Reaction score
Hi! New here, both to raising livestock and the site! We jumped in this year and currently have sheep, goats, pigs, and chickens lol.

Question now is on the sheep/goats. Their pasture is about 1/2 mile from the house down our driveway. We have a 5 strand ht fence but still worry about predators that far away (and we have seen bear around there recently), so we put them in sheds at night and lock them in.

I am wondering if we need to give them hay for the 9-10 hours they are inside. I want them to eat the pasture, both to improve the pasture, and to not spend the money on the hay. I have heard different things about if they need constant access to food or not, and just wanted to get more thoughts on it.

Being that it is new “pasture”, I am also wondering if they would need some hay for supplemental food. It is wild, so there is brush, tansy, grasses, raspberry, and other stuff out there, which they seem to love to eat but I don’t know if they need some supplemental hay.

We have short grow seasons here (MN) anyways, so trying to save on hay and have them eat pasture while they can.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi! New here, both to raising livestock and the site! We jumped in this year and currently have sheep, goats, pigs, and chickens lol.

Question now is on the sheep/goats. Their pasture is about 1/2 mile from the house down our driveway. We have a 5 strand ht fence but still worry about predators that far away (and we have seen bear around there recently), so we put them in sheds at night and lock them in.

I am wondering if we need to give them hay for the 9-10 hours they are inside. I want them to eat the pasture, both to improve the pasture, and to not spend the money on the hay. I have heard different things about if they need constant access to food or not, and just wanted to get more thoughts on it.

Being that it is new “pasture”, I am also wondering if they would need some hay for supplemental food. It is wild, so there is brush, tansy, grasses, raspberry, and other stuff out there, which they seem to love to eat but I don’t know if they need some supplemental hay.

We have short grow seasons here (MN) anyways, so trying to save on hay and have them eat pasture while they can.
Mine are on pasture during the day but I do give them some alfalfa in the evening but not very much and while they pregnant or lactating I give them feed, I keep them wormed and just pay attention to their body condition

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine are put up at night. As I type I hear the coyotes chattering in the distance. I do give mine alfalfa at night, and also during the day when they aren’t in the new pastures.
I would think in your case giving them alfalfa or whatever hay at night in their sheds would be a good idea in teaching them to come in/ go into the sheds at night making it easier on you.