packing goats?

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
when i get my young goats what is the first thing that i need to teach it besides let it bond with me and get use to guns n hounds?

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well this has been interesting reading! I saw the title and was figuring on how many goats fit in a space! I had some ideas, and then posts were NOTHING like I figured!!

I would never dreamed of taking a goat night-hunting, but it sounds like it could work well with the right animal. Sure has to make YOU more nimble with less weight strapped on!

The Boer is a nice sized animal, getting more available in most areas than they used to be. Should be able to carry a fair size load. Dog packs might be adaptable for the goat body.

I would work with my prospect goat at walking briskly with me, leading easily over various hilly ground, downed trees, wearing straps, girthed up, and not being bothered by them. Lots of old photos with kids driving goats, so certainly the animals are trainable if a person asks them correctly.

Thanks for making the day more interesting.

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i got a freind who is goin to have oberhaslis crossed with boar goats do you think they would work good?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Probably would be ideal! Check the kids out when they arrive and choose a couple of bold and fearless boys who would love the adventure of a hunting expedition.

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
does it matter if their are bottle or doe raised for what i want to do?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Just reading this thread...I'd definitely not get any kind of miniature goat, no Pygmies and no Nigerians. I'd think the framiest goat you can find would be good, like Toggs, Nubians, etc.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Bottle-raised kids tend to be more imprinted on humans as part of the herd and are naturally friendlier, but you can also spend lots of time and have a wonderful relationship with a dam-raised goat, too. For what you want, I'd be more inclined to get bottle-raised kids if there is a choice, but don't reject good kids because they are dam raised, either......go by the individuals. I think a bold personality is the key, over one that is skittish. Goats that want to be with people, whoever raised them.