Palpation question

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My NZ does are at 11 days tomorrow (tues), and I palpated them today. (I am also going to do it again tomorrow, just to see if I can confirm what I think I felt. :) ) I'm no expert, but having done it before (when they turned out not to be pregnant) compared to this time, I'm semi-confident I felt the "grapes" in the pelvic region. It was not up high against the backbone, and bigger than fecal pellets. I could only feel a couple in each rabbit. All I've read says once you feel them, consider the doe bred and go on about your business. Since I could only feel a couple "grapes" and I couldn't really tell which side of the abdomen, I'm wondering about litter size.

For those of you who are more seasoned palpaters (sp?), are you able to count the kits when you palpate does, or do you just consider pregnancy confirmed once you feel 1-2, regardless of side, and leave it at that? I'm such a worry-wort (lol) that now I'm bittersweet over the fact that I think they are pregnant, but carrying small litters. :idunno

These does had 5 and 9 kits, respectively, in their last litters, but I didn't palpate them then so have no comparison info.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
brentr said:
My NZ does are at 11 days tomorrow (tues), and I palpated them today. (I am also going to do it again tomorrow, just to see if I can confirm what I think I felt. :) ) I'm no expert, but having done it before (when they turned out not to be pregnant) compared to this time, I'm semi-confident I felt the "grapes" in the pelvic region. It was not up high against the backbone, and bigger than fecal pellets. I could only feel a couple in each rabbit. All I've read says once you feel them, consider the doe bred and go on about your business. Since I could only feel a couple "grapes" and I couldn't really tell which side of the abdomen, I'm wondering about litter size.

For those of you who are more seasoned palpaters (sp?), are you able to count the kits when you palpate does, or do you just consider pregnancy confirmed once you feel 1-2, regardless of side, and leave it at that? I'm such a worry-wort (lol) that now I'm bittersweet over the fact that I think they are pregnant, but carrying small litters. :idunno

These does had 5 and 9 kits, respectively, in their last litters, but I didn't palpate them then so have no comparison info.
I dont palpate until a week before they are due,that way I can count the babies and just about tell how many . I have done it that way for about 5 years now,but before that I just waited til they either did or didnt :) Im not sure about litter size though, good luck lol

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
brentr said:

At 11 days, you may not be able to feel individual "grapes". The uterine horns are still wound together in a ball until about day 13, when they extend. That is why they tell you to feel for the "grapes" when palpating at day 14. Day 10-12 you would feel a firm "ball" in the abdomen. Here is a link and copy of a really good article....

> "Palpations - Pregnancy checks
>
> You have to forget about the 14-day test that some books tell about, rarely
anyone gets good at that, too hard to find those little lumps.
>
> But at 10 to 12 days, the usual test period in Europe, you just feel for a
bulge in the lower abdomen, it will feel like what you would think a full
bladder would feel like. In early pregnancy, the litter is still a compact mass
in the lower abdomen. At about day 13, the uterine horns stretch out lengthwise
so that this bulge is gone. Always do the palpations with CLEAN HANDS, you are
touching right where the young pups are going to be nursing next time!
>
> I check them at 11 days, and if I can't get a positive (or negative) test then
I re-check them on day 12. Never handle the doe on day 13, a placental change is
going on. Check a doe at day 11, and compare with a doe you know is not yet
pregnant, until you can feel the difference.
>
> The day 14 test is very hard to do, and since you don't know when the doe
actually ovulated (somewhere in the next 24 hr after you bred her) what you
think is day 14 may be her day 13 and you had better leave her alone. Then, on
day 20, if she is pregnant, there will be a bulge on her right side, where the
litter is pushing the caecum outward. This will not be so noticeable on the
first litter, but will be obvious on later litters. Then from about day 25, you
can feel some irregular lumps behind her ribs, its usually easier to feel these
on her left side. These lumps are the little pups. Don't feel her on day 23,
another placental change. These things (not handling on day 13 and day 23) we
learn from the lab-animal people (Harkness & Wagner, 1983), the rabbit
production and pet rabbit people don't know that yet, although it's been know by
the lab people for years, communication has broken down somewhere."
>
> Original Link: http://pan-am.uniserve.com/pg000031.htm

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't think it is quite possible to tell how many, I think you will be doing good if you can find out if she is pregnant or not.