Paso Finos and other smaller sized breeds

Lina

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experienced owning or riding Paso Finos? I think they're absolutely beautiful and I would love to own one someday. I'm very small (4'6) and I don't enjoy riding horses that have a super bouncy gait, it's just not good for my back, which is why I've always loved pasos. Are there any major problems with this breed? Do they make good companions overall? Anything a new horse owner should be wary of with this breed in particular?
Any other breed suggestions that are small and have smooth gaits would be welcome.

Also, I'm not looking to buy a horse anytime soon, maybe in like 5 or so years, and when I do I'll be sure to have a relative (competitive horse woman of 50+yrs) help me pick one out🙂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve had Tennessee Walkers, currently a Missouri Foxtrotter. Both breeds exceptionally smooth gaited and good dispositions. But they are not small like a Paso. I’ve never ridden a Paso Fino. I like their looks and their gait looks interesting.

My favorite is the Tennessee Walker. They can be found in the 15 hand range. There are stirrup extensions for mounting a tall horse. Perhaps that would be something to consider.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I trained a couple of Paso Finos for a gal. She had a little mare that was a real kick to ride. I used her for demos when I did clinics on trail class obstacles. The Quarter horse people were surprised at how sure footed and steady she was. Cute little mare ☺️