pasture for 2yr old welsh pony

ridinglizzard

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just got a 2yr old welsh mountain pony and have him turned out in the pasture. Should I be concerned about him foundering? He is in great shape right now (except for his long back hooves). Thanks.

1678_img_6206_1.jpg

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't think it's really any different than any other horse, except you know this is from a background of tending to be a bit more prone to laminitis so you'd want to be more conservative and more watchful.

If he came from a home where he was on lots of lush pasture, he'll probably be ok for now (but watch out for laminitis-risk situations); if he was on limited or poor grazing, though, you'd want to work him up pretty gradually, just like any other horse.

Good luck, have fun, he's cute :),

Pat

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would agree with limiting his turn out on grass if he has not been on pasture before you got him. It is a bit of a pain, slowly increasing the grazing time allowed over a couple weeks or more.

The issue is that his stomach that has not been grazing, has the enzymes for digesting hay going. He won't have many grass digesting enzymes living in his stomach because he didn't need them with no pasture.

So if he gets a load of grass down his throat, the stomach can't deal with it, and the problems start.

I am VERY conservative with changing our horses from hay to grass, takes almost a month for us. We also have no laminitus/founder problems with sudden diet changes. With short turnout times each day, addition of small amounts of time every 4th day, horse stomachs have time to build up grass enzymes that will deal with the new food and increasing quantities of grazing times.

Something else I noticed in the photo is the helmet on the little boy. This is a good move, helmets around horses. However helmet needs to be fitted correctly, chinstrap adjusted to hold helmet in correct position, or helmet is not protective. I am saying this as a 4-H and Pony Club riding instructor, rule enforcer, teacher and instructor, so the parents and kids are as safe as possible.

Helmet should be just above the eyebrows, tight enough that eyebrows move up and down when helmet is gently rocked forward and back. Chinstrap should be snuggly fitted under chin, both straps around ear should also be snug so tension is equalized at the snap. Chinstrap should ALWAYS be fastened when helmet is on, so helmet can't be knocked off when kid is bumped or falls.

Bike and riding helmets are designed differently, to protect the head from different forces of impact that bike or horse fall would give the head. If possible, best to have a helmet for each activity.

Last note, is that an Approved SEI or ASTM helmet should have the date of manufacture inside. Helmet life is only expected to be 5 years. DO NOT buy a helmet that is already over 5 years from date of manufacture. Replace old helmets that have aged out. Plastics that have had hard use with many drops to the floor, been in an impact accident, should be replaced. The cushion effect may have been "used up" with micro cracking, so protection value is very low or non-existant should helmet get another impact from an accident.

Many folks do not know that helmets "wear out, die" after a time period. The helmet may be brand new in a box, but still be out-dated, not a safe protection when you buy it. I see SO MANY helmets of all kinds on sale, marked way down, but the manufacture dates are OLD. I am not exaggerating when I say that it is fairly common to find 10 year old helmets in sale offerings!! Look brand new, never used, just elderly and cheap.

So check your manufacture dates before purchase, then fit helmets snuggly for best head protection of your beloved children.

And the pony is pretty cute too! Take your time with him, so he learns and understands what you want of him. Welsh are very smart, can be a good companion for years to come.

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The picture shows an already very overweight pony, so I would be concerned, though many people are so used to seeing very fat ponies they don't notice it. But the fatter a pony is the more likely he is to founder. A pony should look like a little horse and should not be roly poly. I would limit his time out in the pasture unless it is sparse. He can wear a muzzle, be put into a lean to for part of the day, confined to a dirt paddock part of the day or put in a stall. Most ponies get enough calories in a few hrs of grazing unless the pasture is really sparse. You should see the three last ribs when he takes a breath, but should not see back or hip bones, or withers looking sharp and bony.

Hair coat can be deceiving in a pony. I clip mine so I can see what their condition is. Hair can make a pony look fatter or thinner than he really is. Many people learn to feel the bones - ribs, hips withers so they don't have to clip.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
your pony is very nice looking, doesnt look overweight, certainly not in that pic. all horses of different breeding will carry weight differently. you would need rear and better side views of him to make a definite call. If he comes from a good grass pasture, he will probably be fine, watch closely in the spring, get a good farrier, and enjoy your beautiful new addition.