Peanut Hay?

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Anyone feeding or have fed peanut hay.I found some on CL that is local and costs the same as what I have been paying for small bale Alfalfa.It is going to be baled with peanuts on it.I have read that it makes a very good hay and the protein is about the same as Alfalfa.Thanks for your help....................Mike4

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have not used it, but have read a lot of good things about it. We don't have it availble in our area.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Perennial peanut hay is better then regular peanut hay but I have fed both and the goats love both kinds. Hay made from the peanut plant is actually a by product. The peanut is the primary crop. My only problem with it is the hay always had dirt baled in with it. That made it dusty but the goats always loved having the peanuts on it. I like peanut hay much better then alfalfa because it's not as messy.

Donna

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Learned something new! :)
Never heard of peanut hay, but I guess being way up north that's not too surprising. :cool:
Could someone post a picture?

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have used it. It's "second" rate hay around here and my goats have gotten the memo... They will eat it but prefer something else. Now our steers don't care they like it.