Penile infection? I think... maybe...

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I went to trade that water trough for a boy piggy. Good deal. Well we get there and this is what I see (see attached photos) the dude SAYS that they were just like that today and he is a little concerned (uhhh DUH). So he says I can take two pigs if I want for the water trough. So they had a female there too, but I felt terrible for these little boys and I had a nagging feeling that the dude would just have thrown them back into the less than clean pen with the rest of the pigs... and it was so sad they are walking all over their penises. You know how a dog with a leash on will be walking and step on the leash and sorta stop itself for a moment. That is what they do, only they are stepping on their Pee Pees! So, here we are, with two teeeny tiny 4 month old mini piggies. I read that pigs can sort of let it hang out, but this really doesn't look normal.
So anyways, we put them in the tub with warm, epsom salt water to get the things as cleaned as much as possible (that was hilarious!) Then we rinsed with a saline rinse. The only actual dosage thing I could find for a piggie that small was for Pen G given orally, but it was in reference to diarrhea. I also have Tylan 200 and tetracycline on hand. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best course of action? If they aren't at least a little better with the cleaning tomorrow I will be giving the vet a call.

Boy #1. He seems the worst. His sheath area is quite swollen and there seemed to be a little bit of a pus type stuff up in there. He has no corscrew action going on.

3525_boypiggy1.jpg

3525_boypiggy1b.jpg

Boy #2. His seems the dirtiest, and a lot of it was caked on, but his sheath isn't as swollen and he does have some corkscrew action up towards the top.

3525_boypiggy2.jpg

baileybear4

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow. That doesn't look right to me. I have no advice for you but good luck! Poor babies...

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Luck is as good as anything at this point I suppose :rolleyes:
I can not find anything on the internet to help me out here. Guess I will just shoot in the dark untill I can get ahold of the Vet tomorrow. I am hoping it is just a local type infection and sanitary conditions will fix it. Cross your fingers!

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well. Still pretty much the same this morning. Boy #1 tore his while he was freaking out trying to run away (did I mention they are wild?) so it was bleeding a little. Boy #2 looked less red and swollen, but still not retracting at all :(

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Poor babies.

The only advise I can give you is get in touch with your Vet. That just doesn't seem normal to me. If you say they let them "hang" is a norm, but like that? To a point they are stepping on them and tearing them due to fright?

Wishing you all the luck. You have your hands full with these sweeties. Please keep us posted.

K

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first one seems to have a herniation around/above his sheath opening and the second one's scrotum is also edematous, along with everything else.

I'd say a vet is going to put them on antibiotics...but until then I'd keep those things moist and I'd bind them up to their abdomens with bandages~ letting only the tips protrude for urination~ so they can heal, won't be dangling and growing more edematous or getting dirty.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree with wrapping them up towards their body so they can't step on them and tear them and cause more injury. Maybe make them a "belt" of something like cloth etc. and wrap it around their entire midsection kind of like a sling. Can you put some lubricant on them like KY jelly or something to keep them moist and maybe help them retract them. We had a male dog that often would get his penis stuck out and it would dry instantly and he couldn't retract it. We were told to lubricate it every time it happened. :hide It really did help. The things we have to do for out animals. :rolleyes: I would get them to a vet a.s.a.p. before they do some serious damage to their boy parts and it could possibly stop them from being able to urinate.

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Exactly what the vet said! She said we would need a cream or something to keep them moist, and a diaper of sorts to keep it clean and protected. BUT she also said she didn't think it would ever go back to normal. And with them being wild, I decided I didn't have the time to really deal with it and they wouldn't be good pets on top of the fact that nothing we could do would ever be truly comfortable for the pigs. So they were put down. So sad that they were allowed to get to that state in the first place :(

ETA: She also said that even though they were mini-pigs, they looked pretty thin and almost like their growth was stunted. That maybe it could have been caused by malnutrition or somthing like that. But really she had never seen anything like that before other than a condition on dogs, but theirs only comes out several inches and can't go back in. These boys were just beyond repair.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry you had to put them down. :hugs I kind of thought from the looks of them that they wouldn't ever go back to normal. I can't believe the owner you got them from let them just live like that. :(

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
So sorry you had to put them down. But I think that was the best for them. Truly way beyond repair.

Some times because of stupid people, this is the result. And the only kind thing to do is end the stupid people's results.

Truly sad.

K