Pic added page 2. So what is she?

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I finally got a pic of her, what do you guys think she is?

510_oliver_059.jpg

510_oliver_060.jpg

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say she's a goat. Definitely not an airplane, though she has the ears for it.. It's not an ice cream cone, nor a muffler...rule those out for sure.

Yep...I'm going with "goat."

:p

Seriously, though.. Airplane ears indicates Nubian; white color and beard indicates Saanen. Purely speculative, but it looks like she's more Saanen than Nubian..

I'd call her a Saanubi (...then I'd go "shattered, shattered" under my breath and hope nobody heard me...). :hide :gig

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Airplane ears indicates ANY erect eared goat bred to a hanging eared goat.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
True...but a solid white doe with a beard? If not for the airplane ears, I'd have said she was straight Saanen.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
She doesn't scream "dairy" to me. I'm wondering if maybe she isn't a boer x saanen...still have the airplane ears but a blockier / shorter frame.
Sooo...either Snubian or Saaboer.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
She doesn't scream "dairy" to me. I'm wondering if maybe she isn't a boer x saanen...still have the airplane ears but a blockier / shorter frame.
Sooo...either Snubian or Saaboer.
I saw some comments on the cross-post of this thread where the owner says she's shorter than a nubian. I didn't get that at first from the pictures, but if so, I'd say you're right.. Boer or Boer-cross x Saanen.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well if she isn't pregnant yet she will be bred to a nubian buck this fall. If she is then she'll be bred to a nubian buck next year. Regardless of her breeds I think we would have a ton of work to do to ever be able to milk her as she really doesn't liked to be touched(she was rarely handled at her previous home). So our goal is to breed her to a nubian (hopefully getting more floppy ears, which I love) and hopefully eventually getting a doeling from her to use as our own little dairy goat. We don't need much milk.
Or I might just buy a nubian doeling come spring.

Who knows, the more goats the merrier anyways, I think!

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
taraann81 said:
Well if she isn't pregnant yet she will be bred to a nubian buck this fall. If she is then she'll be bred to a nubian buck next year. Regardless of her breeds I think we would have a ton of work to do to ever be able to milk her as she really doesn't liked to be touched(she was rarely handled at her previous home). So our goal is to breed her to a nubian (hopefully getting more floppy ears, which I love) and hopefully eventually getting a doeling from her to use as our own little dairy goat. We don't need much milk.
Or I might just buy a nubian doeling come spring.

Who knows, the more goats the merrier anyways, I think!
We had a girl that was wild as a March hare. We couldn't get within 3 ft of touching her. But she would jump right up on the milk stand, be still and eat and never flinch a muscle while being milked. So maybe you'll get lucky and she'll be OK with you milking her. Just start her getting used to the milk stand and touching now - perhaps will save you a headache when the time comes :)

sred98

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow! She looks and sounds just like mine! I even asked the person I got her from what kind of goat she was, and they still insisted she was a pygmy. :idunno My friend said Alpine, people on BYC said Saanen. I'm leaning towards Saanen mix.

She's not overly friendly, either. She was really friendly a few days before labor, but she's not the best mom. :( I'm having to catch her (hard to do!) and milk her. She won't stand still for the baby to nurse, although otherwise, she's a very attentive mother. I caught her trying to get the baby to eat grain! It was just born on the 28th! :barnie

She is solid white with a few tiny black speckles on the tips of her ears. The orange is from where she's been rubbing on the trees. We've been having a lot of rain, so she's dirty.

Anyway, the milk is really rich. DS and I each snuck a sip. :p It tasted like warm ice cream according to DS. He said it was much better than his uncle's Boer milk! She has to be some type of dairy goat for the milk to taste that good, right? ;)

SANY1414.jpg

Latest posts