Picky Eater!!

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of the 2.5 months old goats, just picks out the whole corn from her feed.

I have read the differing opions on this and other sites about feeding corn to goats, but at this moment in time this is the only grain she will eat.

I have tried hand feeding other grains, different mixes of grains (we can't get premixed goat food here in Belize, we mix our own) all the other goats get along fine with the mix, it's just this one, she is also the one that is being bullied (see my post under behaviour).

Because of the bullying I have been feeding her on her own outside the pen, with corn and she seems OK.

They have free access to browse all day and I give them grain in the morning and evening.

Any thoughts anyone?

onedozenphyllises

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I only know that I've heard that goats shouldn't have much if any corn. I can tell you also that I've had picky goats that picked just what they wanted out of the grain mixture. I found that if I simply left them with the stuff they didn't eat, after a few days they'd get used to it and start eating it all. Sort of like making a child finish everything on their plate. :D

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She'd eventually eat what you left for her ;) I had a doe who wouldn't eat her alfalfa pellets for 2 weeks. She finally realized she loved them. She did that same thing when it came to her goat chow.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If she were mine, I'd take the corn away from her and leave her with the other grains for awhile until she gets used to eating them. Does she have a nice alfalfa hay to eat as well?

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree, take the corn away and just give her the rest of the feed shell learn to love it!!!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You might try taking all her feed ration away for a few days...Give her extra hay...then try a feed ration specifically made for goats, maybe a pellet...She will be glad to see the feed again and I'm almost sure she would clean her plate....If not leave the feed in the feeder until she finishes it but not longer than 30 or so minutes...dump it out....try the same thing the next day...soon she will realize that she doesn't eat she won't be getting any feed ration and you will be able to get an exact reading on how much feed she actually does eat...with this information you will be able to tell if she is ever not well by the amount of feed she eats/leaves...You will also be able to tell how much to add/subtract from her feedings to change her body condition....

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

I have started taking the corn out, and just leaving it for 30 minutes and dumping it.

I feel this is probably best because we can't get a premixed goat chow here, we have to mix our own.

Anyhow we will see how it goes.

Thank again.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes!! It may take a few days, but she will figure it out. Once she is eating the regular grain for a least a week, you can add back a little bit of the corn.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Things don't seem to be going that good.

She just seems to stand around doing nothing, she will smell at all the leaves when she is broswing but will eat very little. She is now begining to look a little thin.

All the other goats are eating the thriving on the same browse that she just turns her nose up at.:he

She is very friendly, all bodily functions seem normal.

All my instincts, (although I am new to goats) tell me she has not been weaned properly. I am tempted to try her with some milk if only to get some nourishment inside her.

Maybe this is just my thing in life, out of all my animals I have one dopey cat, one dopey dog, one dopey chicken, and maybe now one dopey goat!!

Any thoughts anyone.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do you have access to Calf Manna? What about alfalfa hay?
Both are very good for her and most goats love both.