Picky Eater!!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you given her some Fortified Vit. B to try to jack up her appetite? At 2-1/2 mo., she should be eating grain, browse and hay and be more active. Could be some underlying problem why she isn't. If she were here, I'd give her the B and BoSe and see if that stimulates her appetite any. (BoSe is an RX)

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I feel certain she has not been weaned properly.

She is taking grain when I sppon feed her, and today there is some improvement.

Temperature is normal, so I am going with my instincts and will keep spoon feeding until she take it herself.

This is exactly what I had to do with my little buckling so he would eat his grain.

Many thanks everyone.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My picky eater is getting there, I have been spoon feeding her, but tonight she took it herself, probably not enough, but it's an improvement, so I will keep at it, at least we are on the right road.:celebrate

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Maybe one day I will know enought to help someone else.

Thanks

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:clap By spoon feeding, do you mean that you are handing it to her?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never had to spoon feed one before, but whatever works is good. ;)

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I said spoonfeeding, I meant just that:D

Got the food on a small spoon (teaspoon) open her mounth and get as much in as you can, hard work most goes on the floor, but each little bit counts.

And I am pleased to say it, or something worked, toady she was out browsing, had most of her grain this morning and most of her evening grain. Not quite as enthusiastic as the others yet, but getting there.

One problem now, she likes to be with me most of the time, ah well its a small price to pay and I am sure when she is feeling stronger, she will mix better with the others.

Again thanks for your help.

I am sure I will have other questions as times goes on, all part of the learning curve.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OH, okay, so she didn't want to eat at all and you are/were forcing it.
Have you had her out to the vet for a check-up? When they go off feed completely for a day or so, generally there is a reason. Taking the corn away shouldn't have made her not want to eat at all.
I would make sure she doesn't have worms/cocci or something else wrong just to sure. They can bounce around and eat for one day or 2, but then they will go back to not wanting to eat if they are sick.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well thanks everyone, just thought I would update you on my picky eater.

She is now browsing and eating fine and gaining some weight, very active and looking a whole lot better.:D

She will always eat the corn first and then eat some of the rest.

I am working on taking out the corn and replacing with something else.

It has been suggested barley and oats. We can get the oats but not the barley, so we will get there just takes a little longer in Belize.

Thanks for all your help.

Forgot to mention, one slight drawback of spoon feeding her was she nows wants to be with me all the time and cries for attention if she sees me in the garden. But a small price to pay for a happy healthy goat

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:thumbsup That's great news!! I was wondering how thing were going.
Nothing wrong with a cute little goat near ya all the time!!:weee