Pigs and kids

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree....kids should be very supervised around pigs. My pigs have been known to get a little "grabby with clothing" at feeding time. I will not let my grandkids in pens with them but they are allowed to pet a fed pig (not a hungry pig!) over the fence if we are right there. I also don't trust my daughter or I inside their pens if we are having our period, our pigs notice and after being chased we realized why. My sow also noticed a pair of gloves that I had on the day she gave birth and I got some blood on them, the next day she tried to bite my gloves. I cleaned the spot off (leather gloves) and she didn't bother again.

bucknercrestfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I let my kids look at the pigs and touch young suckling pigs with me there but never do i risk it. we have a mother that is sweet as ever but one day and only one day she desided she didnt like me and tore her birthing house door right of the hindge and went after me but it was only the one day so with swine mood swings you just dont know when they had it with the kids and go after them

LilyD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our feeder pigs are only about 6 months but if we aren't quick with giving them their food they do tend to get very pushy and one of them has a bad habit of biting. We don't go in the pen at feeding time and we will wait until they have finished eating to go in to clean out their stall and pen. This really helps because they aren't anxious anymore and would much rather play and run around then try to eat us.

:)

Lily

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it is agreed a hungry pig is not the safest pig. FEED THEM then enter their stall to clean them etc. Be very careful with a mamma pig she will protect her babies at all costs, which means YOU CAN GET BITTEN, Use care, common sense with pigs, they are very big and can bite. If you have to go into a pen with a VERY hungry pig or a pig with little ones bring in a "shield" be it a cleaning fork or a trash can lid or whatever just incase! BUT they also can be very sweet, just realize that when they are hungry, food comes first, when they have babies, the babies must be protected.

Tonkatuff

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ViviArchieStinky2010148.jpg

Yes children taste like candy and pigs LOVE candy! Pigs are smarter than dogs and most kids under the age of 3-4 years of age. They'll give what they get in most cases... if you feel the need to treat them like mindless maneating maniacs, don't be shocked if that is how they act. Please treat your animals, be they pets or food to be the way you like to be treated.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Reaction score

I am a new member here myself. I own a 4 month old Pot bellied pig named Homie and he is a indoor pig mainly but has lots of outside exercise time to. He is litter boxed trained very well and is very intelligent, quick to learn and is a true delight following me around room to room as if he is my shadow. I had him neutered a bit over a month ago and that truly was one of the very best decisions I made for his temperament. I have 4 dogs all very large breeds. Saint bernard's and German Shepherd's, 4 cats, 3 ferrets and 1 Giant Flemish rabbit. Homie plays in the house at the same time with the ferrets, cats and rabbit extremely nicely. I will say though I will never ever let him be around any of my dogs not even for 1 minute. Homie has found it in his nature to charge and truly can not back up his bark so to speak. My dogs accept him and have no problem with him what so ever but if charge at? It would only be natural for my dogs to attack and it would all be over with before I could stop it. Pot bellied pigs always feel the need to challenge for top rank over any animal and person. I have had Homie sense he was 9 weeks old and I had rolled him a few times to keep him in line. Rolling his doesn't hurt but this lets him know you are not putting up with him being the bully over you. Don't expect that to stick for long because he will always challenge again later that day or the next. I have been very lucky that he has not tested me in quit a while but you have to always be on your toes and be ready to roll them soon as they act out. If you don't roll them as piglets or while they are young? You will surely have one heck of a time letting them know you can not and will not be bullied. Homie has found me to be at the top of peck order for right now but it's something I will always have to prove to him from time to time. Compared to some other friends of mine that own pots? Homie is a pretty laid back fellah. He can be a extremely good good boy and then he can also be acting out like a terrible two year old having his finest temper tantrum. Homie has learned real fast from the get go Mama don't play that and he will be totally ignored until he is quiet and behaves himself. Being that pots are so food driven? I have low calorie treats in every room of my home for him. This really helps when you in training with him. Homie is now 40 lbs and growing rapidly. He is such a wonderful pet and so full of life and such a happy happy pig to boot. Homie has his own bedroom with a full size mattress for his bed. I snuggle with him at nap time each day. If you cuddle with your pot when it's very young? They will really get in to a cuddling routine for the rest of there lives. It's almost impossible to cuddle with a older one that has never snuggled. Homie is basically a routine pot. He has his set eating times, He has set run around the house times and knows his nap and bed times. None of this is a shock to him and he has come to let me know if any of these are little behind. (lol) Homie has learned how to turn all the way around on command, sit, back up, pick a toy up and now we are working on dropping his toys in the toy box. He so proud of himself when he completes a task for me that his little tail goes in to over time full circles with happiness. (lol)much You truly have to do your homework before you jump in to the fire with one of these guys because it is not just like owning a dog. It is much much more time consuming, they can be quit demanding but all and all if you have the patients, the time, the compassionate love, persistence the education on rearing up a pot and money as well? A pot just might be for you. Pots are quit comical also. Homie puts my husband and I in stitches daily and shows us what a true ham he can be. He so loves to show off to.
Thanks for letting me be a member of this forum:thumbsup