Please help! Scours calf 7-8 day old!

pinellisdreamfarm

Just born
Reaction score
So I got a new brown swiss calf a couple days ago. He was fine the first day and the very next day had blood in his stool. No scours yet just some blood. The seller told me to just hold off and see if it runs its course. Next day more blood slightly more runny. Temp of 102.6. 3rd day yellow water poo!!! 102.9 temp.
Started 6 cc of pen G IM twice day this morning. Vet said nuflor or baytril would be best to help e coli or clostridium becasue pen g doesn't work for gram negative bacteria.
He wouldn't give me any. (this is a first usually he will write me a script) must have been in a mood. Said I had to see him first. Stool sample costs $42 just to see what the problem is. I paid that much for the dang calf! geesh!

Any idea of ways I can help this little guy. He shivers sometimes but he bounces and plays. Not eating as much as he was. He was on 2 qts am 1 qt noon and 2 qts pm. Today gave 2 gts milk then 1 qt electrolytes he only ate 1/2 of it. Tonight he only took in 1 qt of electrolytes for supper.

HELP pretty please. I am new to this and really would hate for my kids to see us lose our first real calf project! :(

PS it doesn't appear there is any more blood in stool from what I can tell. ITS FOUL!!!!!! though! I mean FOUL! It smells like when my kids had rotavirus. :sick

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of probios ( most feed stores etc will carry it) it will help repopulate his gut with good bacteria, especially important since you are giving antibiotics that will kill most types of gut bacteria.

best of luck

redtailgal

Reaction score
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2952-calves-scours

Read that page for info on how to handle the dietary part (withholding food and reintroducing food)

I hate to be blunt, but you need to find a different vet ASAP. $42 for a fecal?!! gimma a break! This guy does realize this this is POOP, right? geesh.

Foul smelling, bloody poop is usually coccidia. You can usually treat it by giving Corrid, get it at your local farm store and follow the label directions.

You need to get him started on the electrolytes as soon as possible.

Make sure that his bottles, and living area is kept clean.

How old is this calf?