Poor Waldo, he was my first banding.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I banded Waldo today. Poor thing, it took me 3 tries before I was sure I had both testicles located within the band. First time he pulled them inside of him and I didn't get either one. He knew I was coming! The second time I only got 1 testicle and the third time I got both. Poor baby! I'm sorry he had to be my first and I didn't know what I was doing. Bless his little heart, he was hopping around just on his front legs at first. It's misting here today, so figured it would be a good day for him to lie around inside the shelter once this was done. Hated to do it to the little guy, but he's related to every doe we have and I'm not sure he wasn't a product of sister-brother mating and don't want to perpetuate his genes. :hit My DH held him and I'm sure he was feeling his pain along with him. He's going to be companion for our sire when we find the right buck with all the attributes we need.

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Poor little dude. I haven't had kids yet, my girls are due in July. If I get a buckling, he'll be wethered as a companion for my current buck. I am still up in the air about banding or cutting. Hope he feels better soon. :hugs

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I may have to do this for the first time too. I am hoping they get sold first.

:fl

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GLENMAR said:
I may have to do this for the first time too. I am hoping they get sold first.

:fl
As animal raisers we have to make some really difficult decisons and wethering a buckling is one of them. The next time I do this I will be better, but hate that poor Waldo had to be my first victim, so to speak. DH and DSIL couldn't even listen to me talk about it with DD without cringing.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh ouch! I'm trying to make up my mind about my two little guys, one day I think I'll wether them and keep them as companions for their Dad, then I think they are so cute I should leave them intact. Coming to the end of the time I can dither if I want to band them. How old is Waldo? What to do, what to do??

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I did one of my lambs for the first time a couple weeks ago. I gotta admit it was a lot easier than I thought! The lamb didn't even flinch. I let him down, and away he went jumping and playing with his friends. I managed to get both testicles the first time I did it also. I am so happy I didn't have any trouble, but I WILL be doing this again in the future. It was easy, and now I have no fear selling him to someone as a pet. He will live the good life!