Possible Accidental Breeding to 6 month old ND

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a ND buck on loan that accidentally got in with my 6 month old Nigerian Dwarf doe. They were together less than 3 minutes but I know she's in heat. So many questions...

What are the chances she's pregnant?
How dangerous is it if she is?
Is there anything I can do at this point to reduce the chances that she is pregnant?

I feel kind of like an idiot right now as I've had the buck for a month and managed to keep them separated the whole time and the buck goes home tomorrow... :he

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
You can wait 3 weeks and give her a combo of Lutalyse and Dex which would make her abort if she's bred. You wait 3 wks to be sure she's far enough along that the drugs will work. Both have to be obtained through a vet, who can also advise you on when / how to administer.

I don't raise Nigis, but I wouldn't want to risk a pregnancy in a miniature at that age.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would definitely get the Lutalyse and abort it. 6 months is definitely too young for a Nigi.
x2

My vet actually recommends a shot of Lutalyse 3 weeks post breeding and another 3 weeks after that as a sort of extra safety measure.

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks, all. I'll check in with my vet this next week.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm sure he/she will have his way of handling it. My vet has me do one shot 2 days in a row. But I do use Estrumate since that is what I have on hand so it may make a difference. You can use either Lutalyse or Estrumate. I believe Lutalyse is the cheaper one.

Latest posts