Pot belly Pigs

Chips Ahoy

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, I grew up on a dairy farm and have had animals all my life. I had a few commercial sows and raised feeder pigs at one time.

I have poultry, and where there are poultry buildings there is the potential for rats....... and it seems to be important to keep the ground clean of grass ect near the buildings so that the rats have nothing to hide in. It's kind of rough terrain for a lawn mower, and I was thinking that if I run a stand of electric fence around the area and adopted a pot belly pig or two, then they could graze that area, keep the grass and weeds down. If a predator dug a whole, I am sure the pigs would root that up, and then they could have a pen in the horse barn that they could have for inside space, or I could build them a hut. Are there any learning resources about raising/keeping pot bellied pigs as pigs, instead of living in your house? I sometimes see someone looking to rehome one, and I was thinking that would be a home for a pig and solve a problem for me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It wouldn’t hurt to try.
Or you could disc and drag the soil around the barns to smooth it out for mowing. That might be a better solution.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most people with pb pigs keep them outside. 😊. They will need a wallow -- pigs don't sweat, so heat is an issue for them. Personally, I'd grade the area and mow. Even a weed eater would work for up close.