producction: weight vs age

oldcluck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am processing young fryer rabbits today. I had a litter of 10 and a litter of 12. They are 10 weeks old and weigh about 5lbs live weight. Dressed out at a bit over 2.5 lbs. Is this about average, slower than average or better than average? I remember harvesting at 8 weeks when i had them many years ago but not sure on the weights.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd say your results are very good. What breeds are you raising?

I raise Cali and NZ and cross those breeds every other litter. Whether the litter is is pure Cali, pure NZ, or a cross, I usually butcher my rabbits at 12-13 weeks. My kitchen scale tells me my rabbits are about 5.5 lbs live weight, and I get carcass weight of just under 3 lbs. My fryer rabbits get 16% pellet and grass hay to nibble on every now and again.

oldcluck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are NZ/Cali cross and I currently feed Manna Pro pellets which are 16%. I occasionally feed a bit of alfalfa hay but not often Thanks for the replies.

shan777

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
brentr said:
I'd say your results are very good. What breeds are you raising?

I raise Cali and NZ and cross those breeds every other litter. Whether the litter is is pure Cali, pure NZ, or a cross, I usually butcher my rabbits at 12-13 weeks. My kitchen scale tells me my rabbits are about 5.5 lbs live weight, and I get carcass weight of just under 3 lbs. My fryer rabbits get 16% pellet and grass hay to nibble on every now and again.
i'd be happy with that for sure...... about average or slightly above even those results are.