Protein for Duh and Minnie

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi AlL!!!!

Duh kids as I call them, are getting bigger.

One of the pilots I work with is a black angus cattleman We were talking today and I was asking him some questions about duh kids and told him we were calf stupid. He suggested that they get grain much longer, we stopped feeding them grain about a month ago and they are on straight pasture.

He mentioned "protein bucket" maybe I didnt' hear him right. What input can everyone give me. He said they should each get 1 gallon of grain per day. Is there a good grain to give them? and how long should they be on it?:

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are commercial protein supplements that come in barrels or buckets. They are used when the protein content of the pastures or hay are low. This will enable the animals to eat less grass in order to supply their daily protein needs, thereby "stretching" the pasture or hay.

If you are raising these calves for butcher, I would get them on a small amount of corn ASAP. 1% of their body weight would be appropriate if they are in the growth stage. This will also stretch the grass in your pasture, and improve the marbling of the meat when you butcher them. Of course, when they reach 900 - 1000 lbs or so, you should increase the corn to at least 2% of their body weight.

I know, there are those out there who HATE corn. That's your choice, and I respect your views. The above is my view after feeding cattle for 55+ years.