Purchasing a buck...question

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've never kept a buck very long so I don't know...I found a purebred Toggenburg buck for my female. He's 8 months old, gentle, hand raised, exc bloodlines. I really love this breed and would like to raise more and sell them. If he gets my girl pregnant and the other females are pregnant can he run w/ my girls this winter (Maine)? I really can't put up a shelter for him this year and winter's coming. What do you think?? I would only let him run with the herd after the girls are pregnant. But, I DO have little Wendy who was my spring kid who I will want to keep dry for atleast another year.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Some do that and it works okay. I was going to let my buck stay with the girls he had bred but he was running them around too much, never giving it a break so I was worried for both his health and the does. He didn't want to eat much and they does were constantly running away from his attempts because they were no longer interested since they were pregnant. I gave it a few weeks, and it didn't change so he went back to his own pen.

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I assume he'll keep attempting even if they're not in heat? Gotcha.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am trying to leave my buck in with the girls for the first time this year, until the does kid. So far it has worked well. Once the does were bred, he left them alone or they head butt him.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
That's what I do. My Kiko buck bred my does a few weeks ago and I'm keeping him in there until they kid. He bred them when they were in heat and now that they are no longer in heat he doesn't even try. My buck loves the does and hangs out with them, sleeps with them, and doesn't bother them. They're like a group. So I don't think that keeping him with them is an issue. I know more people that do it that way then just letting them breed and taking him out. So I say go for it and let them be together.