question about fences

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the help :) Also what are T posts? Hummmmmmm I thoght goats were going to be cheap but looks like its going to cost a bit to get started LOL. Thanks Scotty

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
T-posts come in a couple of weights, flimsy and sturdy. Get the sturdy ones! The flimsy are made of sheet metal with a channel bent along their length, and are suitable for light-duty fencing. The heavy ones are solid.

If you are going to put in a lot of them, a T-post pounder is worth it's weight in gold. You can buy one, or if you weld or know someone who does, you can make one that is just as good with a scrap of heavy pipe, maybe 3-4" diameter, and a cap or a flat heavy piece of metal and two pieces of metal for handles (can you tell I know nothing about metal fabrication???) My neighbor made me one. You want a HEAVY piece of pipe. Just look at the pictures of the ones on the TSC site, or go into the store and look at them.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freemotion said:
T-posts come in a couple of weights, flimsy and sturdy. Get the sturdy ones! The flimsy are made of sheet metal with a channel bent along their length, and are suitable for light-duty fencing. The heavy ones are solid.
Apparently, there are THREE weights of t-posts now...at least, that's the conclusion I came to when I bought a few at TSC recently.

They were indeed the iron ones, not sheet metal, but it used to be that a bundle of five 6' t-posts was pretty daggone heavy...not anymore! Not the ones they sell now, anyway.. I picked up a bundle and it was so light it gave me pause...I counted to make sure there really were five and asked the kid if it was just me, or if they'd really gotten A LOT lighter.

He sheepishly said, "I dunno," as if wishing to avoid the conversation altogether..

I asked if I was the first person to ask him that and he kinda put his head down, then looked back up and said "Nope!" pretty unequivocally. He went on to tell me that it was the same manufacturer, and they were the same price as before...but they're seriously about 1/2 the weight of the "old" t-posts...which were lighter than the REALLY old t-posts I've found when pulling old fence.

The new posts are so thin that they had to put a little extra steel on the very edges so insulators wouldn't fall off...seriously.

Now that's pretty bad, if you ask me...

:he

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You will probably want to put a wooden post in between some of the T-posts. I don't know how many feet apart you would want to put them though.

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help again. :) I have those T post already and didnt know what you called them. I thought they were called duck post LOL. My post only stand out of the ground 4' but are realy sturdy. The reason i was thinking of wood post was because I want a 6' high fence. Then again im not rich and dont want to throw away money. Thanks again for your help . Scotty