Question about goat fencing

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bradley said:
This is super helpful. Thank you so much. One final question, if I may - can you turn corners with the woven wire fence, or do you have to cut it and attach each side separately? Just trying to plan out how this is going to go. . .
On our property, every corner is made with big wood posts - 8" rounds. Usually between 5-7 of them for each corner. I wish I had a picture.... but basically it is a post at the corner, a post 4' out on each side from the corner, and then horizontal braces, and on long runs, horizontal AND diagonal braces. We use LOTS of staples, and put them at intersections of the woven wire. That way it cannot slip up/down or back/forth. We also put wooden H-braces every 150' or so along the lines. The rest is T-posts with 5 wire clips per post.

So, yes, we turn corners with the fence, because we have so much "wood" to anchor it to with staples that it is very secure. When we do end a line, it gets wrapped 360* around the post with lots of staples. So far, the fence has withstood 13 years of Oklahoma weather, including a tornado that took the roof of the house off. But the fence stood.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having a TIGHT fence will save you LOTS of headaches!

We don't use the 8" posts some posts are 6" some smaller areas are 4"

Our fences hold Kiko Meat Goats and also LaMancha and Nigerian Dwarf Goats as well as Livestock Guardian Dogs (and 2 sheep :) )

Corners
6948_aug_18_2012_020.jpg

Small corners
6948_7-18-2012_122.jpg

Hand stretched fence with T-post for the long stretch, hotwire at the top
6948_7-18-2012_114.jpg

Fence stretching with tractor
6948_sam_4015.jpg

mtocih

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Southern by choice, I noticed that some of your corner posts were braced with angled posts. I am not sure what animals you have that are penned in there, but I was wondering if they ever uses the angled board to jump out? I am wondering if our goats will? My husband just did one of our fences yesterday and did not prepare for the posts on the corners to lean any. So was planning to brace them this way now. Just trying to make sure it is the best idea.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just a suggestion. Since you have high tensile electric down there, why not take a run off that to the area you want to fence, slap in some t-posts or fiberglass posts, and fence the area that way? We do -some- of our rotational grazing this way and it seems to work pretty well.