Question about new calf...

redtailgal

Reaction score
well now, you didnt tell us in your previous posts that he was stinkin' adorable.

Lovely color!

Be careful about that haybag. I use them from time to time too, but I've had crazy calves get a leg tangled in it. :rolleyes:

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Cute calf! :D I've seen that type of colouration before on Angus calves and the Holstein-cross calves (Holstein-Jersey cross) that the renter had up here last summer, they get that brownish color and leave that for the first few weeks, then slowly start getting darker, eventually going completely black by the time he's a couple months old. I wouldn't be surprised if this calf will turn out the same.

Congrats on the new addition, btw, and a belated :welcome

Lynn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think he is some kind of Holstein-Jersey cross ... there are some at the farm that just look like regular milking cows... sorry, don't know cow breeds, etc. ... some look like him... others look like Holsteins.... he was the one that looked the most 'sturdy' of the ones that were available and still small enough that I could wrestle by myself... at least I thought so.. He bowled me over a couple of times... but I got him home and in the pen!! With help from my daughter and friend!

minimoo86

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It could be that he didn't like the milk replacer...We've had calves that won't drink MR but will drink regular milk (although that doesn't happen all that often).

And at 8 weeks old, he's ready to be weaned off the milk anyway..especially since he's drinking water and eating all of his hay and grain.

He definitely is handsome!