Quick question about feeding

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do they always act like they are starving to death. My goats our now one day off from 14 days old. They are each getting 7 ounces of milk 3 times a day. These are Nigerian dwarf goats. They are gaining and healthy and active. So stinking active!!!! but when its eating time I swear they seem to want to eat my hand off. Now based on the sticky post on this stuff I think I am doing ok with amount. They are not standard so they get half what the bigger goats do but it just does not seem enough. By the weekend they will probably be up another ounce because they really really cry and shove and suckle after their bottle. I do not want to over fed though. I know they are walking stomachs. They are getting their cdt vaccination today. Ideas? I am introducing hay tomorrow.

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a Nubian buckling(almost 3 months old now). I fed him 3 14 oz bottles/day up to two weeks ago. he is on two bottles/day and eats hay and pellets. He acts like he is starving(and always has) and sucks the bottle until only air is left and cries that it is empty. He is large and healthy. i am sure he is getting enough food. I think they just act starved.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are you asking if he should get more food? Yes. Just like everything that lives and breathes, his needs are individualized and he may be a bigger eater than what you might be accustomed. Having a satisfied animal is not a terrible thing.

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They will be at 8 ounces 3 times a day by tomorrow. Today is their 2 week birthday. The runt who was very very small is 6lbs now. The bigger one is at 7lbs.

Edited to add: I am just going to up them to 8 ounces to tonight and try to work them toward a larger goal because these babies are chewing the fire out of my fingers and jumping in my lap to try to suck on my neck. its crazy.

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
"Do they always act like they are starving to death?"

YES :)

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have any kids yet and so maybe my question is silly but.......why do you limit the amount of milk that they get at each feeding? If they were on their mom, they would eat when they were hungry and as much as they wanted.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
SassyKat6181 said:
I don't have any kids yet and so maybe my question is silly but.......why do you limit the amount of milk that they get at each feeding? If they were on their mom, they would eat when they were hungry and as much as they wanted.
No, the moms kick them off when they feel they are eating too much. Ewes will kick the lambs in the face or walk away while the lambs are nursing.