Rabbit Food

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, I got my first rabbit a little over 4 years ago. I have been breeding rabbit since the end of 2010. And I have always used Orschlen brand rabbit pellets that are sold at Orschlens. And lately I've been reconsidering what kind of pellets to feed. I know a lot of breeders, at least around here, don't use the same feed as me, and I was wondering if there is a better brand of pellets that I should feed. I know quite a few people that use Manna Pro. I also know a breeder who uses Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula, but she has to pre-order it, and I checked my local stores and none of them carry it. So, just wondering what kind of pellets you guys feed and what you'd recommend.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I used Purina but I only had pet rabbits. Is your current feed working for you? Are you having health issues that you are reconsidering your feed choice? I'm one of those people that if it ain't broke, don't fix it but if you are having any type of problems, then you might want to look into new feed. I would ask those local people why they are feeding the choice of feed that they are. You may find that their reasons don't give you enough reason to change or you may feel that their reasons give you a good reason to change.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I haven't had any health issues if the pellets I'm feeding now, I was just wondering if there's a better feed out there that would be better for them. I just don't know how great the food I'm feeding now is for them, and now that I recently started breeding rabbits, i want the best for them.

SouthernVoice

Just born
Reaction score
I used Manna Pro at one point and time it works for some breeds and improves the coat but when I got into English Angoras It didn't do the same so I switched to Purina Show and It works for all the rabbits.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I only have a backyard meat operation...that is the context of my remarks.

I usually use Producer's Pride, the TSC private label pellets. 15% protein, etc., etc. Seemed to do well for all the bunnies. I decided to breed back one of my does on a shorter interval, so I switched her over to Manna Pro - 18% protein feed - since I didn't want to worry about her conditioning and thought higher protein would help. So she and her nursing bunnies got 18%. The bunnies did well, but not so well that I am convinced that they NEED 18% to grow well.

Currently my local TSC is running a sale on Manna Gro - 16% protein - and that is even cheaper than their TSC label, so I've been buying that. I've switched between them, blended them, etc., and have never had any eating issues with any of my rabbits, which are NZ and Californians.

So, in summary, I buy the feed that is cheapest, because I haven't seen any clear difference in response or performance of the rabbits on different pellets. However, I do acknowledge that maybe I am not experienced enough to see the difference others would spot.

I do personally think that the pellets that are alfalfa-based (Manna Pro) are probably a higher-quality, but the "forage products"-based pellets (TSC Producer Pride) do okay by me.

horseychick2

Just born
Reaction score
I have three rabbits of various breeds that I feed Purina Rabbit Chow Complete, or whatever it's called (it's a green bag). I let them eat as much as they want, whenever they want, instead of having like separate meals throughout the day. I show two of them in 4-H and one has gotten BOB while the other was close. They have perfect weight and good fur. I would keep using what works for you though. :)

Latest posts