Rabbits Won't Breed!

Ozark Daisy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Could he have been to fat?
They usually won't breed if they are fat.

Maybe you already know that.:hu

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maybe, but I was thinking that the doe was not getting enough nutrition. When I bred them the first two times, I was giving both the doe and buck a certain ration of pellets -- I did give her a little more than usual though. But then when I got on this forum and several people said to feed pregnant and nursing does all they want (duh!) I started feeding her all she could eat. So, I'm thinking she aborted her first two litters.:/

The litter she gave birth to (which by the way was very clean, I didn't notice them until I saw one drop of blood under the cage) looked very healthy and the kits were good-sized, at least to my inexperienced eyes. (I wish I'd taken a picture of them.)

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great News!!! A litter of 10 was born on April 10!
CopyofRowenasfirstlitterb4-10-11.jpg

They were all lively and healthy, and the doe was taking good care of them. We left for the weekend when they were four days old, and came back to find 9 instead of 10... not sure what happened, but I'm thinking it died and she did away with it.
firstlitter4-24-11.jpg

They'll be 3 weeks old this Sunday... and I already have buyers for most of them! I feel blessed.

Thank you all for your advice!

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Soo cute! Congrats--glad they finally bred (& bred again) for you.