Rabbits

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Years ago we had rabbits rex and mini rex to be exact. Our first to was a black rex buck and a black(or blue) otter rex. After my otter rex passed away shortly after we got her(her intestines twisted). I knew i wanted more so i got 3 mini rex all under 4 months. These were together, but seperated from the black rex. Then we got turned in for breeding and were given so long to get rid of them. We never bred them.
We can own 2 females or 2 males.
Im going to try this again. And our nosy neighbor isnt there anymore.
Im thinking New Zealands, Satins or Rex. (I already know who im getting them from, these are her main breeds). She also has mini lops, lionheads and polish.
This rabbit(or rabbits) will be living outdoors. In a secure coop with run. The coop is a 4 x 3 and is also 3 feet tall. The run will be about a 4 x 10. I live in Wisconsin and can bring them to a different area if it gets to cold. Our last rabbits lived in a insulated room connecting to our garage when it got cold otherwise they were in their hutch, and i can do this again. Which breed would be best for weather and the size area?

The next question i know rabbits need Timothy hay daily and basically free fed it at all times. Would 10lbs of hay last a month? Or i can get a 50lb bale(but i feel it would mold before i could use it all).

What pellets are best to use?
Ill be asking what the breeder uses but im curious on others opinions.

what treats/chews should i have on hand as well? I know we use to give ours alfalfa chews and some fruits/veggies.

And my checklist so far is
Bottle for water
No tip dish for pellets
Hay holder
Pine shavings(i already have these for my chickens)
Tunnel
Litter box
Grooming supplies(slicker brush, nail clippers, flea comb, and a soft rubber comb)

Am i missing anything?
Thanks in advance

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
About the hay... why would it go moldy? Store it up on something so it is not sitting flat on the ground (drawing moisture) and if the rabbit is going to be in and outside, where is the hay going to be? Inside....stand it on it's end, in a corner, and just have it up off the floor.... We have hay that has been stored in the barn, on a wood floor (in the loft) for 5 years and aside from a little loss of quality, is perfectly fine to feed the animals.

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
About the hay... why would it go moldy? Store it up on something so it is not sitting flat on the ground (drawing moisture) and if the rabbit is going to be in and outside, where is the hay going to be? Inside....stand it on it's end, in a corner, and just have it up off the floor.... We have hay that has been stored in the barn, on a wood floor (in the loft) for 5 years and aside from a little loss of quality, is perfectly fine to feed the animals.
It would be stored up off the ground. Like ours use to be but it would mold because of the temperature changes and humidity changes all the time(or maybe its where we kept it?. In the winter im not worried about it molding. Its the spring and summer.
Its cheaper to buy the 50lb bale than to buy 2 10lbs

Latest posts