rachels.haven's Journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240716_091103_Word.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Notice the "goats and sheep" icons don't show up as being effective until the 2 joule size charger...
That's a great chart @canesisters .
Yes it is the making the "complete circle" to get the charge/ZAP, for the animal.. that is why birds can roost on the HOTTEST power lines... they never make a complete circle... plus their feet are much less conductive due to scales etc....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
but you all talk about goats constantly "trying" or testing the fence. SOOOOOO........
Like your cows, some goats think life is about "the other side" is better. 🤣 Once those detect a weak spot, it's game on because they ALL want to go...follow the leader.

If it's a hole, most everyone goes thru. If a jump, only the Olympians. Others pace. Once the spot is discovered, it is gone to as part of the daily walk. If they're outside & I shake the can while inside, they'll come back same way and I have them show me the spot 🤐😂

Some individuals don't try to get out. But goats have great memory. Once I replace their fence, they do a walk around & settle. Most will respect that electric ⚡ if hit a time or two. I just don't trust it as their sole containment as a herd. Individually, many of mine are fine. My 3 jumpers have settled some -- maybe preggers. Most of the Boer prefer not to jump, young dairy is another story. And Nubian seem more inclined than Saanen. :idunno just my observations. Goats are such FUN! 🥰
I use a 6.3 joules plug in unit!

There-- busted Rachel's thread. 🤗

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The actual "Zap" that hurts is measured in kV or 1000 Volts. Voltage is the energy potential difference between the wire and the ground. A standard voltmeter doesn't read that kind of voltage and will break. The flow of the current is measured in Amps. Joules is measurement of work and kinda translates into how far down a wire that Zap can be shoved.

Your search term is "electric fence tester". You want one that will do 12+ kV if possible. I have a cheapie that only reads to 8kV and it sucks. I plan on trying this one next.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, goats are in the same class as bears. NOW I remember that.
Well, I guess I'm glad it's working for now. The goats spent a day or so getting popped and it was hard enough they didn't like it. Sounds like we may be looking at 4x4 fence with a top hot wire like I originally wanted. I was "on the fence with it" because on the one hand it is working, but on the other hand my checker was only reading it as 4.8-5, rather than 9-12 AND it likes to energize the gate and sometimes the ground around the gate in the rain and I can't find the short and it makes getting goats out for milking in the rain...interesting. Feels like gambling. Added bonus is that they can clean off their own fence, now mowing or pruning and the kids can reach through to pet them if the fence doesn't bite.

I guess I can go try dousing the ground rod and checking things then. It's beside the hydrant and water trough so not too hard. They used house wire to attach the Energizer to the fence and ground. We've already changed the hot with some spare lead wire I had laying around because the fence died in front of me due to shorting one morning (thanks for the save, Mark, because even on a ladder I can not reach where they hung the fencer). I'd like to change the ground wire too before doing that test. It doesn't look as nice, but at least I will know all is 100%.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Margali ... I'm not well versed in all the technicals of what and why.... just know some of the practicals... I like the fence tester that you referenced... might invest in one for myself... I have a couple of the simpler ones, try to keep one in every vehicle so that I can test a fence no matter what I am driving at the time...
@rachels.haven , I nearly fell over when you said that goats were right up there with bears...... but yeah, only the top 2-3 chargers are actually recommended for goats and sheep...
And the fencer should be more accessible than hanging it so high you can't reach it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Accidentally hit post... If nothing else rachel, you ought to have a cut off switch near the gate... so you can flip it off, to go in and out the gate, and then can turn it off to be able to "work on the fence".... we have some cut offs in some of the fences that are "more permanent" .... one other place we have electric that separates the different pastures.... there are cut offs at a couple of gates... so you don't have to go all the way back up to where the fencer is.... and you can leave some sections "on" as you work on other sections.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday after spraying a wasp nest I left the electric perama net buck fence partially disconnected so only a third of it was on. So the senior bucks (traumatized by hot wire) had no charge on their fence. The junior bucks had charge on half their fence and they are NOT traumatized by hot wire so one got his head stuck, but he's not the "struggle when restrained" type. He's more the "give in and wait" type even though it was raining and dark, so he was still alive and not strangled when I came out in the evening. In fact, he wasn't that tangled. He stepped through once and got his head through twice. Very happy to see his bottle holder/snack lady. Then I measured the voltage on their fence in the rain. 1.8 volts *minor flipping out*
Measured the fence charge on the main fence in the rain. 1.4 volts. *more minor flipping out*.
So I've got a fence guy coming out tomorrow and we're going to get this rolling.
I don't think I'm getting a new truck anytime soon. I may not even be able to get the one I've got repaired (hopefully just until the house sells). I need my beasties kept IN.

It is raining again. This means the fence will be down, but the goats will be shelter bound and hopefully all will be okay. Lots of alfalfa was given today so even when the rain stopped they stayed home.

Hey, ADGA 2024 Lamancha grand champion and reserve grand champion ARE dairy this year. They are Rockin' CB goats.

!!!

Last edited: