rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
No over head wires. We have small neighborhood power lines along our lane. Nothing buried though. The stray current turns off with the switch in the barn. I'm starting to wonder if there's another place that connects to the fence from the barn that I can't find. The posts are all wood, which isn't very conductive...

I detached all things from the top and middle wire even if it's supposed to be in the dead and detached section because with the middle and top hot it won't be. When the dew dries we'll see if that changes anything. I guess at this point I just want to maximize current to the section I want and minimize any bleed I can. I purchased a fault finder in the offchance it can help me find the fault rather than the whole fence being a fault.

If I hadn't combed that fence up and down already I'd say there was a hot wire, probably near that barn that was attached to the middle wire that later jumped to the top via a weaker connection. I just can't find it. And the other wires IDK why they're carrying charge but hopefully if I find that the bleed over to them will quit.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That seems to be the most likely situation. Making me crazy.

I got the polywire up to 7-9k volts and then Mark dragged us off on the annual torture the wife at the inlaws/his parents get together so back we go to TN to gollywood (Edit dollywood, thank you autocorrect and then emojis and even more accurately it will probably just be Gatlinburg)when I'd rather be settling in (okay, he may have bribed me with a normal fence).

So I made friends with a cow friend from church 5 minutes down the road and left the goats under their care and I'll pay them and they'll teach me how to milk their elderly landlord's dairy cattle so we can trade services...which sounds weird. He can't milk his own cattle because last year he got demolished by a bull (which was immediately destroyed) and nobody is sure why or how he made it and he's still recovering and may be for quite some time. And I get the impression they'd like occasional relief.

So right now we are here by the pink pin and Mark is having an epic battle of wills with Shaun over getting back in the car. Rest stop smells rather dank and even second hand eventually makes me sick so I'm letting him take the three year old tour of the rest stop himself (plus I may be expressing my I don't want to go-ness).

Regardless, well on our way through the Shenandoah valley.

Looking forward to milking the three little cows.
1000003755.jpg

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back home. I did farm chores with my farm sitter at their place. We milked two small jerseys with an udderly EZ milker and then turned them out with their calves and fed chickens. Cows are rubbery. One cow was in heat so lots of shenanigans. I like my goats!